Mrs. Cole (O'Carolan)

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This is collaboration between myself and Gelsenbury aka Dennis Nigbur, we both share a love of O'Carolan and mandolins. I had arranged Mrs. Cole for solo guitar but never got around to recording it, so we used that arrangement as the basis for this collaboration. Dennis played the mandolin, made the video and guided an old man through the wonderful world of online document sharing and I played octave mandolin, guitar, bass & concertina and grumbled a bit. The video is called Mrs. Cole's Pilgrimage to Canterbury, in case anyone is asking.

2. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done David & Gelsenbury. I do enjoy O'Carolan.
  3. Brian560
    Brian560
    I agree with Robert, well done ��
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing of all instruments by both of you, David and Dennis. Very clear audio.
    Like Mrs. Cole I have made a lot of hikes and runs in wet weather with miserable sight.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great collaborative effort, you two. Your arrangement really suits the tune, David. Lovely mix and a fine tune to work with.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I think David and Dennis make a nice couple. The music is very enjoyable and very O'Carolany, which I like. Next is Dennis, David, John,. I think Simon and i should do one - how do we meet ?
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Good choice of tune, Gents.
    Nice arrangement and the two styles that you often use work very well together. I really like the personality you’ve put into this tune.
    Sensitive editing of the instruments too.

Hi Ginny, yes I’d like to do a collaboration with you but I don’t know if you’ll be able to stand me, as a metronome psycho, I’m extremely demanding!
    -You choose the tune or song (happy, please) , you choose the tempo, I record the harmony or bass line, you put whatever melody plus other choices on top.
    You edit if you want, though I could, and you have final choice on volumes except one track.
    If you decide that I’m going to sing then you have to hum an intro! -this is the one track where I choose the volume of your humming! Ha ha. and I could record a free time melody for that and you could hum over and then remove (the melody intro) later if you like.
    You do the graphics if you want (of course).

Sorry for the public nature of these pre-contract conditions, but better than going to copyright court later.
    I’ll send you a message with my address.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The arrangement sounds completely davidesque in perfection and feeling, so Dennis fits in seamlessly, which raises the question how many of David's recordings were really played by David
    The video ist especially remarkable, featuring the Blair Witch on a bycycle (and she lives in a gypsy cart, apparently), a statue of Christian Clavier (Asterix) and, of course, the cathedral

I didn't hear any grumbling, though, I really waited for it.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    David's arrangements are indeed amazing, and this collaboration hasn't affected my sense of wonder at how he does it. I played the mandolin melody to a MIDI track, sent it to David, and then the magic happened. Everything fits together perfectly.

I do love those statues on Lady Wootton's Green, just across the road from where I work. Apparently they represent Queen Bertha and King Ethelbert of Kent, although I can definitely see the resemblance with Christian Clavier as Asterix. The more prominent association for me, though, is my dad. He looked very much like this when he was younger, although in more modern clothes.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done en plus Dennis!
    Courageous to play to a midi -it’s like looking into a mirror. It tells you immediately, and constantly how you’re doing in a rhythmic sense.
    I always thought it was magical when a musician stopped playing, continued the foot tapping and then came back in 5 seconds later at exactly the right time, ie. at the same time as everyone else. There’s a sort of sudden existential realisation and acceptance about time and being and mortality.
    But no... it’s mechanical, just rhythm.

(With a midi playing, occasionally my rhythm can get really smooth. It’s then that the midi sound can disappear. It only reappears when I transgress.)
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'll chose a happy song Simon, but NO humming or singing by either party. I got your email address so will be in touch.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, having read your pre-collaboration contract above, I am now wondering if you were a lawyer in a previous existence? Ginny, read those clauses very carefully before you sign up for anything with this man!
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No lawyers John but I did have a friend in California who was passionate about equality, communication, negotiation and transactional analysis!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice collaboratiion David and Dennis!