I Cavalli Sono Stanchi (Italian waltz)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an orchestral waltz based on folk music from Romagna, written by the prolific composer, fisarmonica player and music publisher Tiberio Marani from Cesena. It's a lively waltz played by Italian dance bands with accordion and clarinet lead -- see for example here and here.

This tune has been in the repertoire folder of our mandolin ensemble for many years, along with two other similar waltzes by Marani, but I am not sure how they got there. This one is the best (and most difficult) of the three tunes, and a bit of a tour de force, but it's a really nice tune and a really nice arrangement.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very beautiful Martin. I enjoy hearing music I would not otherwise come across.
  3. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nicely played Martin. I think I like the mandolin(s)/guitar arrangement more than clarinet/accordion.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a lovely waltz, Martin, and it really suits the mandolin. Fine arrangement too.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I enjoyed this a lot, Martin. But it was too short. Fortunately there is a rewind button in the YouTube frame.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, all! It's a fun tune, especially played with others. For some reason, the part I'm playing in the video is labelled "Mandolin 2" despite clearly being the melody. The "Mandolin 1" part consists mostly of the busy high harmony interjections added by the clarinet in the dance band versions -- the phrasing is rather clarinet-like and quite tricky on mandolin.

Frithjof: I have left out the repeats, which is why it's pretty short. At that tempo, it's a bit flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants and I'm not sure I could have kept the take together if I had included the repeats...

Martin