Vincent Campbell's Mazurka

1. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    At the O'Flaherty Irish Music Festival they had a "Anything but jigs or reels" workshop and this was one of the tunes.

Mandolin - Weber Bighorn
    Guitar - Gibson J45 Studio

Here is the ABC Notation:
    X:1
    T:Vincent Campbell's Mazurka
    C:
    N:
    L:1/8
    M:3/4
    K:G
    DG |: B2 BA GB | d2 d2 AB | c2 ce dc | B2 BG DG | B2 BA GB | d2 d2 AB | cB cA EF | \
    |1 G4 DG :|2 G4 gf |: e2 ef ge | d2 d2 AB | cB ce dc | B2 B2 gf | e2 ef ge | d2 d2 AB | \
    c2 cA FA |1 G4 gf :|2 G6 |] \
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like this one a lot, Robert. Sounds quite stately! Lovely job.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice Robert, really like the parts where you almost stop, abrupt, slightly harsh but firm and fair to give what I imagine is an idea of Mr. Campbell himself.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Robert, this is excellent. Truly enjoyable to listen to such a good performance.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful and relaxed, Robert. Thanks.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played Robert, when I saw the title, I said I know that tune but after a great deal of research it turns out I know a tune by that name. In 2003 I made this recording of two mazurkas that I was playing in a traditional dance band I so I could work on the proper accents for mazurkas. The emphasis is on the 2nd or the third beat and according to the fiddler I played with I never got it right. Kitty's Fancy is the 1st tune and the second one is what I know as Vincent Campbell's. I did re-record the bad parts and added a couple of new ones and I'm still probably not playing it right but that's OK, I had a lot of fun.

The pictures in the video have nothing to do with mazurkas, they were taken while I was on tour with the aforementioned traditional dance band in 2004. Extra points if you can guess where the pictures were taken.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, another fine performance, sir. The concertina renders the mazurka really well. Pictures remind me a lot of the woodland places I wander in here at home, though tree types are different, so I am looking forward to your revelations re location.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff, I'm a big fan of Mazurkas!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What’s a Mazurka?
    https://youtu.be/pTu3VsaZ4XA. (he says it at 3:18)

(as I understand it) Basically, the main accent on the second beat and the beats are divided into 3’s.
    It’s not easy because the TAB/notation doesn’t show this. In a sense the first two notes should be inside the measure as the tune itself, not the lead in.

Note that in the examples there are always 3 D strokes/beats.
    The time can be counted:
    D-UD- - D- -|

Or:
    |D-UD- - D- U|D-UD- - D- -|

Rather than:
    |D- D- DU|
    -the last beat here is divided into 2 not 3, which I guess would be more like a waltz.
  10. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done David. Is there the current equivalent of a CD coming soon?
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great performance David, the concertina is always so etherial and fluid too.
    I’m not so good with plant species. First guess at the location, Louisiana but after seeing the shoreline and low cloud base I’d guess at Seattle somewhere or the coast of Denmark?
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Robert, sorry no CD, to be honest I thought your recording was better but thanks for the compliment.

Simon, you are really close, I'll give you the extra points. Olympic National Park is quite close to Seattle, very astute observation on your part.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    David, you did a great recording and I like your rhythm. Of course I can’t decide if that is mazurka-like enough.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Just for fun, I thought I’d post a metronome rhythm of a Mazurka!
    HERE IS THE MAZURKA LINK
    |D-UD- - D- -|
    -how cool is that?

I’m not 100% sure about it so if anyone has any other ideas...
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two fine Mazurka recordings.
    There are 2 tunes named Vincent Campbell's Mazurka, David is playing #2, so Robert's Mazurka must be Vincent Campbell's Mazurka#1.