Just Got my Jam-Master!

1. Phil Vinyard
    Phil Vinyard
    Stopped in Morgan Music in Lebanon MO in early July looking to step up from my beginner mandolin to something better. Jenna England handed me the Jam Master F to try & I was blown away. Sounded much better than pretty much everything there. Even the more expensive Gibsons. It was all I could think about, and went back last weekend and bought it.

What a sound! People around me keep saying, "It sounds like it's amplified." Can't wait for my Sloe Jam group to hear it. I have really big hands so I like the wider finger board and the thicker neck.

But--how do I know what number it is? Definitely a signed sticker on the inside of one f-hole, but just a serial number in the other f-hole.
  2. 300win
    300win
    Pkvinyard, congrats on getting the "sleeper" in the Gibson mandolin models. Yes they are great, tone , volume, playability, they have it all. And I even like the plain unadorned look. Dave Harvey who is now the head luthier at Gibson is signing the first 100 made. I think that includes F models and A models. You can't really tell about the numbers. Mine says it is number 50, but I found out from one of my students that talked to Mr. Harvey at a mandolin camp that mine was actually the 5th one made. So go fuigure ? All I can say is that in over 40 years of playing a mandolin it is among the top three I've ever held in my hands. It is everything that a mandolin should be. I think Gibson's plan on the Jam-Master line was to make a great sounding/playing mandolin that could capture a big chunck of the consumer market that maybe could not afford higher priced mandolins. Enjoy.
  3. Phil Vinyard
    Phil Vinyard
    I did e-mail Customer Service at Gibson and this is what they told me:

Hi Phillip,

I've spoken with some of our production staff that make these instruments, and they
    have confirmed that your mandolin is signed because it is indeed one of the first
    100 produced. Thank you for the inquiry.

Best regards,
    Benton Cummings

So...not sure exactly which number but it is one of the special first 100!
  4. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Congratulations PKVinyard, I have #23. The label in the bass side signed by Mr. Harvey should have the number written on it. Mine is on the upper left hand side of the Harvey signed label. Good pickin’ and I cannot say enough good things about mine.
    Welcome to the group, Brian.
  5. Sparkydog
    Sparkydog
    I received #24 on Friday from a private seller. I must say that I am impressed with this mandolin. I can't wait to show it off at the next bluegrass festival in 2 weeks.
  6. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    The F style #24? Boy that one is getting passed around fast.
  7. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Congratulations and welcome to the group. I hope you will be happy with your #24 Jam Master, I have #23. Good pickin , Brian.
  8. Phil Vinyard
    Phil Vinyard
    Again, makes me call into question their numbering system. On mine, the label on the bass side has a hand-written long serial number on it. The label in the treble side has Mr. Harvey's signature and a date, but no other number. Factory (see above) assures me I have one of the first 100, but does not identify which one.

But...it's such an incredible mandolin that I don't much care. The sound blew away my Sloe Jam group on Wednesday. The notes articulate better--I can play much faster and have all the notes come out. Chords on the wider fret board are still a little uncomfortable, but I'll get used to that. Can't wait to play for the Hallsville Square Dance on the 12th. Throw that microphone away--I won't need it!
  9. frankmsu
    frankmsu
    I sold Jam Master #24, along with other mandolins, because of focal dystonia in my right hand. #24 is without a doubt, an absolute tone monster.