Week #79 ~June Apple

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Okay here is my first shot at doing this. I am brand new to this particular mando and I only picked up the tune this morning, so I kept it pretty simple.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's really nice Douglas. I think the new mandolin is a good fit. What kind is it?
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice first post, Douglas, and welcome. Simple???
  4. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Thanks! The mando is an Old Wave (#481) that I just received yesterday. It makes a great companion to my Phoenix.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome, Douglas, great first post! Nice mando.... and yes, they DO need companions!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, I have its big sibling #280 born way back on April Fools Day 2002. How fun.
  7. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Here's my version that's a bit too fast for my own good! Special appearance by my newest piece of clothing.....

Great versions Marcelyn and Don (man that Campanella...ohh). Douglas, your new Old Wave sounds great and I really enjoyed your recent thread about it on the forum!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Doug, love that Old Wave...looks like a cross between an old Gibson A body and a modern longer and narrower neck. Sounds great and so does June Apple.

Rob, that Collins is a killer! Now that's a bluegrass mandolin if ever I heard one. I can hear a little bit of Bill Monroe in your version which always spices up a tune! WTG
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Good one, Rob, that really rocked. Where'd you find that B part? Cool version.

Doug, that Old Wave sounds great as does your playing. It was born just a few hours from me out here in NM. I've got an OW octave that I love.
  10. warh0rn
    warh0rn

I finally have a means to record myself so I thought I should start today. Not my best playing but its the best I can do in a day. Played on my Weber Mandola-lin.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    warh0rn... very nice... tell us about your Weber Mandola-lin!
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff, warh0rn! Your Weber looks and sounds awesome as well - I've always hankered after a green mandolin meself after seeing an "advocado burst" Weber A on their website.
  13. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    So many different ways to play the same tune, that is what I love about this type of music. Can not really do that with rock, if you stray to far from the melody people become mad! lol. Rob, nice hat!
  14. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Warhorn, Wow that's a cool 10 string! I didn't know Weber was even making those! Sounds great and welcome!

Don, that b part just kinda came out like that since I didn't really take the time to learn all the notes! Thanks for the kind words!
  15. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Wow that dola is mean looking! Sounds nice and I bet it is even better in person.
  16. warh0rn
    warh0rn
    Yes it sounds better in person... but it also sounds better when you play it. It really sends those percussive attacks right into your gut. Feels like you really should play it with a tone gard but the recordings seem to sound better when I am using my tonegut . I will let you guys know when I make a thread on it with all the details... and yes I am sure Weber will make anything that is physically possible... but I would talk to Kyle from the Mando shop to help with the details (and getting a deal)
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Better late than never - again I would have prefereed to use a mandolin but the ripped thumb said no. Here it is on a Beard Zouk - GGDDAAEE.

18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent, Eddie! Way to play through the pain!
  19. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Also inspired by Butch and David's sublime version.
    Fits nicely w/ Kitchen Girl, me thinks.
    Dug out the Mid-Mo from the closet. The Jazzmando strings have to be at least 3 to 4 years old.

20. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Ditto to the mandolin sound Don, that Campanella sounds wonderful in your capable hands.
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great on the giant mandolin, Eddie.

We're lucky to have you adding some videos to the group, mr. larue. Fine playing.

Thanks, Douglas, it's a keeper.
  22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woah, Luckylarue, that was a great rendition. I'm hoping we get to see a lot more of your videos.
  23. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    My posts ebb and flow. Flow-ing at the moment. Tvery time I tried to record this at home i ended up with a bunch of background noise (3 boys.. one more on the way) so I recorded while out of town for work. Unfortunately, it was 11:30 at night so I had to play softly. Oh well.. you get the picture... uh.. video.

24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Monkeytroy, not quite sure how you were trying to embed your video, but it didn't seem to work right. You need to copy the code after the "=" in the url of your YouTube video. Then, you need to click "go advanced" at the bottom of the 'quick reply' pane here in this message. In the window that opens next, you'll see an icon that says 'tube'. Click that, and paste the code you copied from your youtube video. Then, click OK, and it will be embedded in your reply.
  25. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    Whoops. Yes, I think I fixed. it.
  26. cbud
    cbud
    Hi everyone - I haven't posted a video since about 9 months ago (...and i've only posted one video so far). You know the story - too busy, "other" parts of life get in the way (sigh). Anyway, here's my crack at June Apple - it's the first time I've played around with garage band for my "backup" (i.e., me playing guitar, etc). This is just a great tune. Good choice for song of the week.

I am quite certain I will never be able to post to the song-a-week during the actual week that it's posted...however, I am going to make a big of an effort to catch up on a lot of songs from previous weeks.

Feedback is welcomed!
  27. cbud
    cbud
    ...oops seems i can't figure this out... here i'll try again:

28. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Attachment 66599

Here's a work in progress that I posted to another thread just now. Actually the A part is within spitting distance of as good as I can do it but the B part is ragged.

My first Song-A-Week post so suggestions are welcome but...well, you know.
  29. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Clean picking and well-sounding mandolin, Brent.

Are you still working on the video?
  30. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Let's think of the video as a "work not in progress".

I think I use up my ability to tolerate seeing myself on video each week during my Skype lessons.
  31. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    Kind of resurrecting yet another old standard. I've always wanted to do one of these split screen jobs... You guys from the cafe have always blown my mind with your tech stuff! So now, a year later I finally have a good mic and software. I know the quality here isn't great but I'm thrilled and excited to be learning how to do this! Thanks for all the inspiration. We've got to start somewhere and I'm having a blast.
  32. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    I'm only 10 years and a month late with this, but who is counting? I heard this tune discussed on the "Mandolins & Beer" podcast and decided to check it out. Alas, I was drinking only coffee when I made this video.

33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That's a very fine picking you delivered to my morning coffee. Thanks, Mike.
  34. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great picking, Mike, and your facial concentration suggests that you were sight-reading this as you played. The Ellis is sounding really good. Well done, that man.
  35. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great picking Mike, and thanks for reminding me. I have to record this one, it’s a great tune.
    I think John’s right about the reading, do you have some sort of foot controller?

So what is it? The Revue?
    -reading, and are you editing it as well?
    Multitasker!
  36. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Ha ha. Actually, I do have the tune up on a screen though I have it memorized. I was mainly staring. ; ) What I should put up is a mirror to remind me to smile.
  37. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Lots of great versions of this bluegrass standard, and yours ranges among the best, Michael!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12