Roslin Castle

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a well-known Scottish slow air, sometimes (wrongly) attributed to James Oswald or Niel Gow -- it predates both. This three-part harmony arrangement is by Eric Allan (www.ericallanscottishmusic.co.uk). I trade melody and harmony between the OM and the mandolin.

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I didn't know it yet, but it's very nice! Thank you for sharing the tune.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    One of my favourites, Martin, and you do your usual fine job with instrument choice and playing.
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's a recording I made about 15 years ago featuring my seldom heard Lyon & Healy bowl back.

5. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I got my twin brother to record this with me.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice blend of the two instruments, Dusty. Good to hear a fine tune being revived here.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Three very different takes on a strangely calming and sedative musical theme that IMHO lives very much in the melody yet irrestistibly invites intricate accompaniment.

Every one of the three has its special point - Martin's video demonstrates uncanny divining abilities because it shows a co-worker of mine at 0:31. David has a concertina (the ticket for all things calming and sedative), and Dusty introduces yet another twin brother to this Group (no wonder world population is approaching 7 billion fast; it's all YouTube's fault)
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a tune for my taste. Sounds great in all three submissions.

I like the tone you develop with both of your instruments, Dusty. The details of the tenor guitar are interesting, especially the tuners/mechanics. I should ask my parents if there are unknown twin siblings of mine with nice old instruments. My younger brother (as a mechanic) only plays with tools which weight several pounds.
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I appreciate your words of encouragement gentlemen.
  10. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Beautiful and expressive playing from everyone! A pleasure to listen to.
  11. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I like this as a solo mandolin piece so I recorded another version.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clean as ever - and sensitive.
  13. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Here is a haunted version for Halloween.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just over five years since DustyAmps last posted his versions (plural) of this lovely Scottish slow air - including his scary, haunted Halloween version!

I have been playing it recently and decided to record a version earlier today as it was too wet to venture out, and there is little else to occupy my time during our pandemic-induced hiatus. I played it on mandolin and added guitar backing. No suitable pictures in my archives, so you have to look at me trying to keep from making too many facial gestures.

15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well done John, Roslin Castle is one of my favourites and I have the same problem with facial gestures. There is a guy in the Tunesday Tuesday group that always wears a mask in his videos. I think that could get expensive but it would sure make videos a lot easier!!!
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really enjoyed this one John, thanks, it’s like you’re telling the story of the castle.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I think this is one of your best John. I know you set out to do a good tune and video but this one just blew me away. It reminded me of your version of Airthrey Castle. Also one of my favourites. And I think you all have lovely facial expressions; full of joy and feeling the music not just the notes.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Now there is an idea, David. Maybe we could get a Cafe mask for wearing on SAW videos? We could grimace and girn as much as we wanted behind our masks; probably better than going back to the headless videos we made a while back. Thanks for your positive comments.

Ginny and Simon, thanks both for your kind words. We have so many great castle tunes in the Scottish repertoire, ranging from reels and fast tunes to the lovely slow airs such as Airthrey Castle and Cluny Castle; probably because we have so many great castles!
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this very nice video, John.

Interesting idea with the Café mask but prefer to see a human face with all it’s expressions. Although the most of my videos are headless…
    Wait – my wife’s sewing tons of masks currently and came up with a new one with music notes on it just this moment. Oops!
  20. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Really nice playing John - I hadn't come across this previously, and really like the music. Your backup guitar was tasteful as ever. Thanks for posting this.
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I like those mysterious smirks of yours, John - beats the Mona Lisa for style

I'll just keep on scowling, which I'm being best at.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof, BH and Bertram. Great to see the SAW group so active just now.

Looking forward to seeing your next video with musically-enhanced mask, Frithjof. My younger daughter made me just such a mask at the start of mask-wearing, and it has fiddles and mandolins on the material and is washable.
  23. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice mandolin playing and a tasteful guitar accompaniment. John!
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I agree that this is a special performance, John. It does seem to tell a story. Spellbinding.