Week #24 ~ Rights of Man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Francis, for reminding me of this pretty tune. I was not in the game when #24 was on.
    Good job in the painting break.

Here is my attempt:

2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Manfred. This one is still on my list.
    Gary
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Lovely, Manfred. Sounds a little sad.
  4. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Great playing, Francis and Manfred. I'm glad you brought this one forward. After hearing this again I moved it from my "maybe someday" binder to my "working on" pile. Thanks for the nudge and thanks for sharing.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Zombie mandolinist!

https://youtu.be/CbjvXZG7PZ0
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing on both instruments, Simon. Really a video with a happy end!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof.
    The whole story is that I’ve been unwell for a couple of weeks (not the plague), better today, couldn’t record so went weight training instead!
    Came back and thought, just record the thing, the tempo doesn’t matter (I was playing at a silly speed, but got tired with mistakes).
    So recorded at a reasonable tempo.
    Hence the happy smile once I’d decided to just do it!
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent, Simon. Enjoyed that. Get well.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, it takes a while, the beard comes off tomorrow.
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice, smooth version, @Simon, I really enjoyed that.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Quite a sinister scene, Simon, for the genial jazzy chords. I'll call that Viennese humor, or Wampire's Waltz
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good return to posting, Simon.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gentlemen. Yes, being a metronome fundamentalist does occasionally pay off!

Bertram, ‘sinister’ was the feeling I was looking for, but I foolishly practiced L’inconnu de Limoise just beforehand. It’s a tune that’s well known by my neighbours. The doux sounds of my octave mandolin must have drifted upstairs.

-and they ruined the sombre atmosphere with a little knock at my door and une assiette of delicious, sweet Pain Perdu.

[WARNING, this is just a 5 second vid of a photo of food, no mandolin content!]

‘Please! I’m trying to be an artist’, I complain... this kindness doesn’t help!

(The good news. I have enough French tunes to keep me well fed until Christmas)
  14. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nice!

I have trouble getting the timing right when I multi track. You're inspiring me to give it another whirl.
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I didn't know The Rights of Man, but Simon's bluesy, swinging version persuaded me, to also put it on my to-do-list. Excellent, Simon!
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Mike, the trick I’ve found, for me at least, is to always record the backing instrument straight afterwards.
    That way I can still remember the feeling of the slow/fast tempo changes and accents in the tune as I go along. Otherwise I have to play sort of slightly following a millisecond behind the melody track notes using brush strokes that increase individually in crescendo. (Probably a name for that) That way, if the backing track brush note slightly precedes the melody note it sounds ok because the initial volume is low. (All this in theory )
    If necessary, and as long as all the notes are slightly behind, the whole backing track can then be shifted a millisecond forwards.

These tunes are getting easier for me to do now, I mean to play the sort of ripples of feeling the same way through each time with the two A and B parts because in the past as a Metronome Maniac I didn’t have to worry about tempo change. Oh and I think it has to be felt as a complete tune from the beginning, not separate parts (no that’s complicated). And for the moment I’m only doing tempo changes. The other accent techniques for expressing what I already feel, but is hidden, as well as more blues notes will have to be learned later, in the Spring, well some time (hopefully). I will have to list them, and then consciously add them. I’m basically trying to go from robot to human being.

Then the other advice is from a Hollywood Film director, may have been (the great) Clint Eastwood or on the other hand one of the Italians, cant remember.
    He said, ‘Don’t do anything in Post-Production’!

Thanks CC, I’d been playing ‘Summertime’ just beforehand!
    -on guitar in Em, it’s the cool G, C7,B7, Am movement.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, after what you say about your long playing sessions and your neighbours, I'd be having my food tasted before I ate anything!
    Your wee clip above of the Pain Perdue is maybe the ideal gift for them (put on a USB stick and gift-wrapped for Christmas) - a short and silent clip they can enjoy when you start practising again.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, I haven’t got any likes for my food vid yet. On the contrary, I’ve lost 2 subscribers!
    -hmmmm, forget practicing mandolin, I think I’m going to go back to the kitchen.
    ooops, lost another 3 subscribers.

Love you guys!
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    [Just realised that this post should be in the L’inconnu de Limoise thread, so instead of deleting this I copied it to the other thread, here]

Here’s the ukulele improved version:
    https://youtu.be/Q72b_3AQncY

And here’s one of my ‘lift’ secrets.
    I like to call this one ‘Play a hornpipe rhythm like John Carty in a couple of hours’
    -it works!

Pick pattern DU, DU, DU etc and you can set YT time button to X1.5

https://youtu.be/mtg3w7pmz_s
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Simon, I'm with John re the pain perdu - it might be a Voodoo-style preview about what they will do to you next time...
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I can’t stop myself Bertram, when someone’s nice to me I forget what they were like yesterday, completely forgotten!
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, your new posting on YT has a better balance of octave to uke, I would say.
  23. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely playing as usual Simon
  24. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    My original '09 version of this appears to have vaporized, which is probably a good thing. This is on a '24 Gibson oval I've been looking for excuses to play.

I learned this tune a long time ago from Robin Williamson of the Incredible String Band. He has an excellent book of fiddle tunes. Even the intro is tasty. Sample:

"I hitched back to Edinburgh in the spring. ... The pickings were slim, and I was getting thinner. One day, when the winter was making itself felt, I was standing on a particularly windy corner when I pricked up my ears to the sound of bagpipes. A little further on were a couple of tinker pipers sitting on some steps, with their hats on the pavement, huffing and puffing and skirling away at some reel tunes. I could see that they were fatter than me and drunk to boot. It struck me then that I'd never need to starve if I could learn to play jigs and reels."

I've always taken that bit of wisdom to heart and it has stood me in good stead.

25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    This fine instrument should be played regularly. This lady has a nice, unique tone. Your playing suits her and vice versa.
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very fine delivery, Mike. I love those cascading triplet runs.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Now that is some fancy lady, Señor.
    I like!
    Great playing too.
  28. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Simon and Mike, you have just proven that we need more hornpipes around here. Great playing from both of you.
  29. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Another late entry by me. I don't play a repeat on this. Two reasons. I just couldn't get a decent articulation this morning on the second part of the tune. And on several occasions the amount of background noise was just too distracting/ruinous to the take (downstairs neighbour shifting furniture, airplane noise, doorbell rung, yada, yada, yada...) So I eventually decided to just go for it, warts and all and be done with it... Played on my Paris Swing "Macaferri" mandolin, newly re-strung yesterday. (Another frustration. I hadn't noticed until that point that the bottom e slot on the nut is cut too deeply and that particular string sits noticeably closer to the fretboard than its partner and doesn't have good tone. It's still playable - but once I detect a flaw in an instrument I fixate on it and it spoils the enjoyment of playing it. So looks like I'll be making a trip to the friendly local luthier to have a new nut fitted! Sigh!)

30. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Aidan - coincidentally I've recently dusted this tune off meself - it's the "tune of the month" for October over on the FB "Banjoheads" group.
  31. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, Jill. It used to be one of the standard tunes at a session I used to frequent many years ago and I never really got it. The people there used to play it fairly unswung and at a furious lick. I couldn't keep up with them at all - especially in the 2nd part where there's quite a bit of "travel". In fact my playing of the second part is still very "just about' (if that!). Don't think it will ever make it into my top 100... but it's always useful to have these reasonably common tunes in the oul' kitbag...
  32. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    How could I have missed this one in the search function? Anyhoo.... Here is my take!

33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Love it! You play those triplets so calmly and have everything under control. Great recording of a great tune.
  34. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Old favourite, though reading back through the thread opinions are surprisingly divided. I have worked in human rights for most of my life, so I had to do this one.

35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    … and you did a fine version, Richard.
    Funny comment about the video footage on YT.
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I enjoyed the embellishments Richard, nice roll to it. This is a favourite tune of mine though I find it difficult to play. Some odd finger flow.
  37. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I was trying to find the divided opinions while reviewing this thread and couldn't find any. I'm sure there won't be any divergence on your own recording. You seem to have found a recording setup that shows off the clean sound of your instrument and playing very well.

This reminds me that I was learning this tune just before Christmas. I'd forgotten all about it!
  38. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine bit of playing of a fine tune, Richard. You get a lot of lift in it.
  39. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A good swing and a clean but warm tone, excellent recording, Richard!
  40. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, all.

Dennis, perhaps I exaggerated the divided opinions. Aidan Crossey (whom I admire enormously) seemed fairly underwhelmed by it and, John, I got the sense that you weren't a great fan either. I suspect this happens when things are played so often.

Well spotted, Frithjof. These visual presentations do incline to the simplistic. If I had included pictures of, say, nineteenth century trade union banners, and Ford and Brezhnev signing the Helsinki Final Act (both essential to a nuanced account of human rights), everyone would have wondered what on earth was going on,
  41. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I haven't looked into this thread for a long time. All contributions made since are well-made and intricate. I noticed that the A-part melody is different in every rendition (an ambiguity I simply evaded in mine with doublestops), and that makes them so Irish - never give anybody a chance to claim copyrights, maintain the rights of tune instead.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123