Shipping Mandolin?

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hey Everyone.

Hope you all are doing as well as can be and are safe.

Has anyone ever shipped a mandolin? I've got to send mine back to Northfield. Living in the PNW and to Michigan seems far and I'm super nervous. I'm going to be putting it inside a hard case but I'm needing the UPS store to help package it since it's not your typical box size. What's making me nervous is leaving it to them, non boxed and crossing my fingers they do it the right way (meaning my way). Just curious if anyone has experienced this stressor?

I'm also working on Mandolin Exercises for Dummies by Julin and it's been a eye opener on learning to finally use the scales and playing freestyle. It's opened my world up tremendously.

Otto
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have shipped several, with good results. Some thoughts:

1. Cost: all shippers will charge you on the volume, not the weight. They will measure and round up to the next inch, never down. One inch is a big difference in the cost.
    2. Be sure that the mandolin is secured inside its case and can't move around.
    3. Be sure you have something soft but not real squishy under the peghead. I have used a tightly rolled up rag. Put something with shipping and return address inside the case.
    3. Loosen strings somewhat. Some folks say don't. More say do. Not loose enough for the bridge to move around.
    4. Based on something I read recently in the main forum, if possible I would consider removing the endpin and put it in the case's accessory box.
    5. Box - make a box from large, heavy gauge cardboard. I have found good cardboard at high volume furniture stores or home appliance stores. I use Gorilla glue on the seam. I also put fiberglass reinforced tape around the box just in case. I'm a belt and suspenders person. Put enough peanuts or bubble wrap or whatever in the box to keep the case from slopping around.
    6. It's possible that you could find a guitar box at a local Guitar Center or other music shop, but they'll probably charge you and it may or may not be very sturdy.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    Everything Hank said, plus you can check bicycle stores for shipping boxes too. They're generally noce and heavy, and it's better to cut one down than kludgeing a couple together (ask me how i know).

I've been planning to pick up that book forever, having started my journey with his For Dummies book, which is excellent.
  4. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    You guys are awesome, thank you. Hank, thanks for all the advice and that's a good idea on bike shops.