Snowy Evening Waltz

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This waltz was composed by Annie Delong. She's a Bowmanville(Ontario) based retired teacher, who is a long time hobby mandolin player and recently started playing on her mother's fiddle. She has many of her self penned tunes recorded by good musicians and you can get the sheet music by screenshot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtR0sIWCm4c
    Here you can read more about her:
    http://loonscall.timetraces.ca/anne.htm
    And here's my mando version of Snowy Evening Waltz:
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, that is such a beautiful tune, and you play it so well in this recording. Great mix of your mandolin and guitar once again; that guitar records beautifully. A really fine seasonal offering, sir.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A very pretty song, CC - Bowmanville is a few hours away from where I live. I like the mandolin melody and the winter slides.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great find, Christian. Very well performed on your instruments.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, you inspired me to download the notation for this tune as I liked your version so much. I have recorded my version here on mandolin, octave and guitar, with a wee bit of synthesised cello. I capoed the guitar at the 7th fret for the chord backing. I think the cello is maybe too quiet in the mix, but it depends on what you are listening on - speakers, headphones, etc.

Thanks again for making this tune known to us. I left a comment on Anne's YT channel mentioning your posting and she has responded with thanks, so you have a new fan I imagine!

6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s an amazing recording. All instruments go well together – with my smartphone speakers as well as the external speakers of my Laptop.
    Anne will be proud with recordings of her own compositions from all over the world.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof, and thanks for the feedback about the sound on smartphone speakers and laptop speakers. Good to know.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great recording John. While my version is a basic get-to-know the melody thing, yours is pure Art!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, wonderful version John. I really like the cello too. I think the volume level is fine, the only part is where there is a guitar and the cello could be slightly louder there, for about 15 seconds, I think. But no, really it's fine. It's one of those instruments that can play in the background and you are only vaguely aware that it is there but it makes a great difference.

It's nice to see the group so creative and productive at the moment.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, both of you. I agree, Simon - great to see the group so active just now. Wonder if we can sustain it when we have the freedom to go out and play live again? I certainly hope so.
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Me too, I enjoy the active SAW group.
    On Anne Delong's bandcamp site, you can listen to the tunes from The Loon's Call.
    Snowy Evening Waltz is played here a little faster than on her YT score video.
    I also tried it that way:
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your productivity is intimidating, but yields some tasty fruit! I like all the versions here. It seems to work well at both the faster and the slower speed.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is another very fine version, Christian. Great blend of guitar and mandolin. You have put a slight swing into the waltz which makes it more country in flavour, like Western Swing. Lovely video too.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Me too, I like all the versions here, especially the waltz with a bit of swing.

Dennis, I’ve been thinking of joining these guys and jumping into production overdrive as a bit of fun for Christmas.
    Let’s hear some medieval tunes!
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I was touched by this beautiful winter waltz as soon as Christian introduced it to us two weeks ago. I also enjoyed your second video, Christian.

I decided to give it a try on mandolin, bouzouki, concertina and guitar.
    Pictures taken during a skiing vacation in Lech am Arlberg/Austria in March 2017.

16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really nice to listen to and to look at, Frithjof. It's the ideal winter presentation.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I didn't know, you also play the concertina, Frithiof. Your little ensemble sounds great!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a beautiful, seasonal video, Frithjof, and the pictures are really lovely. Your arrangement, choice of instruments and playing of the tune are all first rate. Here's to 2021!
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely Frithjof! Everything about it. The concertina adds a lot to the ambiance. Well done!!!
    Really nice Christmas present.
    Hhhmm I wonder what an accordion would sound like...
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks to all of you for the very kind comments.

If had the needed time and the power I would have rerecorded at least the concertina track and the guitar accompaniment. The video shows what I can do at this point - and I’m not unhappy with that.
    Great to have fellow musicians to share my efforts with. Thanks again.
  21. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Lovely listening to these videos Christian, John and Frithjof!
    Thanks Christian for introducing us all to this tune. I'll need to check out Anne on YT and Bandcamp.