Beautiful Dreamer (Stephen Foster)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Stephen C. Foster (1826-1864): "Beautiful Dreamer", 1864

This is one of the last songs that Stephen Foster ever wrote, published posthumously after his early death in 1864. My arrangement for mandolin quartet (two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello) is in the key of D major. This is such a pretty melody, and really enjoyable to play on mandolin.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    This is such a pretty melody, and really enjoyable to play ...
    … and to listen to
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof!

I've now also posted a PDF of my arrangement here.

Martin
  4. Richard J
    Richard J
    Thanks and thanks for the pdf.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very pretty Martin. I enjoyed that.
  6. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Beautiful Dreamer has long been a favorite of mine. Thanks so much for sharing your pdf and your playing. Your orchestrations are always inspiring. My trio will have to put this in our rotation.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a different and more stripped-down arrangement of this Stephen Foster song from my previous recording made last year. Source:

http://www.kstez.de/Beautiful_Dreamer__Foster_USA_.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It sounds beautiful, too, in your simpler version.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two lovely versions, Martin. I missed your first one back in December 2019.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, lovely versions Martin, thanks.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very pretty, clear and melodic. I like this version, it sounds more emotional.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny. Playing the tune on solo mandolin first gives more leeway for expression -- it's a more enjoyable recording experience this way, and I think also in most instances more musical as long as the arrangement isn't too complex.

Martin
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I really like your second version, Martin, that's the way the tune is supposed to sound.
    I found an arrangement in the New Orleans jambook: http://cjam.lassecollin.se/songs/beautifuldreamer.html
    It's in 4/4 time, so Jazzers can apply their 4/4 licks without thinking in 9/8.
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian. That is very nicely played and sounds great. Recasting the tune to 4/4 warps my mind, though -- the phrasing is so different!

Martin
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, the visuals make me think more of a nightmare than a beautiful dreamer! I like the fact that you have put the tune into 4/4 time as a change from the more usual waltz or compound time. Fine balance of backing and melody again from you.