Week #209 ~ Sally in the Garden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Just remember that in any key, there are only 7 different notes in a scale. There are just 3 of those notes in a basic chord. Many songs and tunes only use 3 or 4 chords all built from the same 7 notes. So as long as you can find those 7 notes, the rest is just playing about.
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    My old jazz guitar teacher used to tell me that there are only 12 notes to choose from and that any "wrong" note is just a half step away from a "right" one. Seriously, study music theory a little bit at a time. Understanding a concept intellectually is the first step and then try to apply this new concept to your mandolin. I think I started with major scales and then applied this knowledge to the fingerboard of a mandolin. Once I memorized a bunch of major scales I'd begin to see where the tunes I was learning might have come from... then I began to wonder about those notes that weren't in the major scale and where they came from... it never ends and all the theory in the world won't make you a better performer but it will open up options in your playing that you might never of considered before.
  3. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I am finding that most scales, arpeggios, etc I have played for a long time. I just was unable to properly label it. I have played strictly by ear or by watching others. My desire is to not only play better but to also think better. Wish me luck. Thanks guys!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Happy New Year fellow SAWers!

And Oooof! 40 minutes till the new year and I’ve just finally recorded tune #200.
    Yes it had to be Sally in the Garden...
    Hope we all have a better year than last, and here’s to more lovely music in 2021, it’s going to be a great year!!!!!

https://youtu.be/O9E0tI_X4zw
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Brilliant playing, Simon! Happy new year!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Congratulations on your achievement, Simon. A fine tune to finish the year with. Great effort you put in to reach your goal. Love your snowy scenes in this video too.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Dennis and John, and I'd like to say thanks to everyone in fact. I wanted to reply to all of your nice comments, but I don't want to shove all of my tunes to the top of the list! This tune was my favourite over the Christmas period. I still feel that I haven't really got it yet, Especially the accompaniment. Filming in the snow was great, and very cold! Most of the shots in this film have been slowed down to an 1/8 of the original speed. And in the strong wind that is why the snow is often falling almost horizontally but slowly! At one stage my back was covered in snow.

I had a lot of problems with recording, mainly through inattention.
    I think I've sorted out the recording now. I record the video with the iPhone and an external microphone. Then I upload the video to BandLab and use edit master on the whole vid. Then, without cutting the vid, I download it back to iMovie. Then I align the two audio tracks together, and then delete the first movie audio track. Finally -it's important to do this at the end, I top and tail the vid. I was actually given very nice i Phone as a present and I use this for the filming, but I don't have anything else that will handle the high quality film! So this film was edited on the telephone. I'm not sure if the special effects of saturation, brilliance and black point worked well. I wanted a sort of coloured graphic affect. On some of the vids I used a metronome and added an artificial iReal bass line afterwards.

On some of the other Christmas Tune Camp vids the alternating bass notes I used didn’t perfectly fit the melody but it was reasonable. Volume levels were difficult to balance using my telephone speaker...

Another funny thing happened over the Christmas period, again related to being overtired from Recording too many vids-
    So out of about 200 tunes in my ‘to record’ list, I put about 30 Music sheets into a folder called ‘the easiest ones‘, and decided to keep those in case I ran out of time.
    I put them into a draw, Nice and tidy. So what did I do after that? -I forgot about the folder!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12