Pretend (Nat King Cole)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This American pop standard was written in 1952 by Lew Douglas, Cliff Parman & Frank Lavere. The best-known recording was by Nat King Cole, a US No. 3 hit in 1953. Other hit versions were by Alvin Stardust (as a rockabilly tune) and by Don Williams (as a country ballad).

My instrumental cover is based on a transcription in a wonderful old music book ("101 Rock'n'Roll Hits for Buskers"). Melody on mandolin with a tenor guitar rhythm.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Martin, I like the change-up of styles you have been playing lately and look forward to more. Happy New Year.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, these are interesting applications of the mandolin. I'm enjoying them, too. You may have to adjust your YouTube tag to something like "folk, classical and all other kinds of mandolin music".
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice version Martin, and nice to hear different styles of music. Well done for leading the way!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny, Dennis and Simon. I forgot to mention that this take also has a sketchy mandocello bass line added.

I've been playing tunes from various popular styles for quite a few years, on and off, and although it can be a bit of a push to make them fit a mandolin lead, it is good fun and helps a lot in understanding harmonies and rhythmic styles. There are a lot of chord shapes here that you don't normally encounter in folk-based styles.

Martin
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice swing arrangement!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this nice version, Martin.