Westmorland

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is another collaboration between me and Ginny. It is a Playford tune from the Dancing Master Collection from 1686, originally in 6/4 time but transcribed for our version into 6/8. Ginny recorded the mandolin track in sync with the melody on octave which I had mailed to her, then mailed me back her mandolin track. I added the guitar, octave and then piano and synth cello harmony part I wrote for the tune. We are rather happy with the result - another cheerful ditty for Christmas.

I am really glad that Ginny has managed to get this tune done as she has been suffering badly for some time now with arthritis in her fingers. I know she has been playing very little because of this, so a big thank-you, G.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for posting this, John. You did most of the work and as a result we have about 4 versions now I think ? I will post one in the new year hopefully. I have tried to keep up my comments on everyone's You Tube posts. I'm sorry if I have missed any. I go for treatment two - three times a week just so I can still play with my fingers strapped up with some special kinesiology tape.
    I got a nice candle for an early Xmas gift that has a label on it that says "#### 2020". I love it. Merry Christmas to all MC members.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It actually says the F word but I guess you can't say that here.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Another very nice recording from your duo. The arrangement is great, and the sound quality is fantastic. Is there a story behind those lovely photos?
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A masterpiece of a recording, a very beautiful piece, thank you Ginny for valiantly playing your part.

I would not curse 2020, it has taught me a lot of things I had to be taught the hard way, apparently. Also, I would not want to waste all my four-letter words too early, I might still need them for 2021. Meanwhile, I am perfecting my lemonade factory in this time of plenty of lemon supply.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis and Bertram, and Ginny for soldiering on.

Dennis, the Chilean Viewpoint Refuge (first 3 pictures) was inspired by 17th and 18th century wooden churches on the island of Chiloe off the southern coast of Chile. The remaining churches have UNESCO staus. The refuge is constructed from English Oak sourced from Northumbria and has Western Red Cedar roof shingles. It was built in 2014 by Guy Elder. I made the link between the tune's location and the oak frame.

Benmore Botanic Garden (the location of the refuge) is 120 acres in size and owned and managed by The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.The other pictures are from one of my walks in the hills above Loch Eck looking north. They were taken on 5th December of this year and I never tire of photographing it.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great music and nice pictures!
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this very nice piece of music, Ginny and John.

I’m happy to have you with us again, Ginny. You did a fine melody playing. Hope you will get back full power in your fingers. But please take needed time!

John, you did a amazing job as musician in playing the instruments as well as in the arrangement und mastering of the recording.
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice job, you two. That's a great arrangement and recording, especially being cross-Atlantic!

Ginny, wishing you the best in getting back to playing more.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You are all very generous in your comments, Gents. It was a fun one to work on, and I am glad Ginny pointed me to this tune.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is a masterpiece recording! Best yet. It has a very grand cinematic feel. Well done Ginny and John.
    Hope you’re hands get better soon, Ginny.
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Westmorland - a John Kelly collaboration, accompanied by winners and contenders of the 'UK Landscape Photographer of the Year Awards' competition with some cool and unique photos. (Part 1 of the Photographer series...Part 2 - coming soon).
    Happy New Year to all !!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, thanks for posting your version of our collaboration with those super pictures. They give the tune a whole new feel, I think. Looking forward to Part 2 of your photographer videos. Happy New Year!
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks John. Happy new year to you. Having a lazy day today, it's cold and stormy snow outside so I'm hunkered down with a book. ttyl. Not sure when I'm going to put up Part 2. hmmmm.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Ginny, with a good flow. Those photos are amazing; spectacularly arresting the eyes’ attention.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks Simon. Happy New Year.