Week #526 ~ The Star Above the Garter

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Not a lot of voting this go-round.... but the winner is The Star Above the Garter.

Here is a link to 4 settings of this slide (12/8 time signature) on thesession.org

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version, Simon. You inspired me to have a go, also on my octave with guitar backing. Recorded as usual via REAPER, rendered to mp3 format, then the track used in the video to replace the video's own audio track.

4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here we go, on a roll now. A flurry of postings and this the most upbeat and joyful Star Above the Garter I’ve ever heard! Thanks John.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I see that this tune did have a run as an "other tune"..... here is the link!
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two very nice versions, Simon and John!
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    As Frithiof said:two nice versions!
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Both very good. It amazes me you can learn and play it all in the same day.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, just to prove to you that I am still alive (and wearing the same shirt I did 10 years ago, haha), and that I (kinda) still can play the mandolin (though this is the first time I've done it in 8 months!), here I am (crudely) playing this tune once through on my Collings mandolin. All my video editing and music programs have ceased to work, so this is just me recording it in photo booth! I should have tried to smile more, but I was squinting to read the music!

10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Fun tune! Love the submissions above. This is a combination of the first and second settings posted at The Session.

11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, folks. Barbara, you have not lost it! Great to see you posting again and from a photo booth, no less.
    Mike, really clean sound from that mando, and I like your mix of the 2 Session versions. It is a fine tune.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    haha, John..... obviously, NOT IN a photo booth.. but that's the name of the program on my mac that you can use to just take photo or make a video from your computer!
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice to see you posting Barbara, and a lovely version too. I love the plants you have there.
    And Mike, fine playing as usual. Nice booming sound.

I was wondering, the tiny window and the miniature pictures you have behind you, is that a special lens on the camera that does that?
    Why, it looks like your photo booth is huge.
  14. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Must just be the perspective, Simon. I’m in my office (a spare bedroom). Behind me is a poster from a ballet (made to dramatize one of my novels!), a poster from the first Mandolin Symposium, which I attended with my son (Marshall, Grisman, Thiele ... and where I met Compton), and a mirror surrounded by miniature Mexican paintings of those happy skeletons partying it up for Día de Muertos.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two additional videos – thanks Barbara and Mike.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Everyone is doing such a good job with this tune. Very enjoyable, all of them.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two new nice versions.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice tune, this one, and some great versions here. With Barbara back posting to the group, it's just such a good mix of styles and locations here.
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions everyone!
  20. Brian560
    Brian560

Here is my try at this one.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good one, Brian!
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Brian, you have a good flow and good feeling for the tune. Very nearly a great foot tapper. More vids

Ha, ha. Tempo is one our favourite subjects here on SAW -well I like talking about it.
    I think one of the hardest things to master is to hold back on a steady tempo even when you you reach the sugary fast parts of the tune, those parts where the tune really takes off, and to instead play it more accented and aggressive but still at the same tempo.
    Basically it’s being really objective and saying what part of the tune is my slowest clean part. And then play the whole tune at the tempo.
    It’s the holding back that creates the tension and drive to dance.

-of course I’m only describing one of the many different types of tempo styles.
  23. Brian560
    Brian560
    Thanks for the kind comments. I referred to the excellent presentations before mine so that I might get it right. One challenge is trying to keep the right pick direction to get that tempo Simon is talking about, it still needs more practice with the metronome. Another challenge is playing traditional music when you don't know the tradition. Fortunately, there are a lot of people on this forum who are well versed in those traditions. I would like to post some SaW type video’s but have not figured out a good way to do that yet. I am still trying to figure out where to place my new Apogee MiC to get the best sound. My mandolin is just back from the shop, so I will be able to contribute more.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Brian - We have to deal with the problem of playing music we like but which is not part of our own tradition. The world changes and so do traditions. I hope we don’t play for pure traditionalists …

Here comes my attempt to play a slide:

25. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I thought all of these were really good. Nice work Frithjof.
    I have another Gordon Lightfoot one coming soon and I guess that would be the Canadian traditional music...?
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good versions there, with an actual appearance of Barbara, Mike speaking and Frithjof aspiring for triplet kingship!
    Like Ginny, I am currently working on something Canadian, it'll take a while.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice triplets and nice to hear you Frithjof!

Limited internet access so trying to keep up.
    I’m also trying to get something done in these very hot summer temperatures...
  28. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice playing Frithjof and I agree with the compliments on your triplets. Well done !
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Tanks for all the encouraging comments.
  30. Kevin B
    Kevin B

Great versions of the tune here. Here’s my simple version. I may have to try adding more ornamentation.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Kevin, sounds good like this too.
  32. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Kevin, your video will not open for me. It gives an error message when I click on it.
  33. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  34. Brian560
    Brian560
    I like your version Kevin. Its simple but cleanly played and has a nice flow to it.
  35. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nicely done, Kevin.
  36. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Kevin, your nice version should be easy accessible for all of us:

37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frithjof, thanks for reposting Kevin's tune. Kevin, very fine delivery there. Clear and clean notes and a good tone. Nice pace too.
  38. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    Thanks for reposting. I don’t know what (if anything) I did wrong. This has happened on my last 2 posts. Thanks for the kind comments.