Week #48 ~ Shove That Pig's Foot A Little Closer to the Fire (OT)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    Thanks Simon. The mandolin is a Carvalo from Portugal. It has become my go to everyday instrument.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Kevin, for some reason I am getting an error message both yesterday and today when I try to listen to your tune. Not sure if it has anything to do with my being in Scotland? All other links here are opening as usual.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    Really nice swing, Simon, and I dig the bass part. Is that you, or is it imported?

Kevin, I'm having the same issue as John - we're both in Europe, so I wonder if it's a regional setting?

Here's mine from about a year ago, played on mandola & paired with Dry & Dusty. It's a bit slower than I'm playing it these days - it definitely doesn't bounce like Simon's version!

4. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nice, Bbcee. I dig the octave shifts on Pig's Foot. What kinda mandola is that? I like the tone.
  5. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    I love the sound of your Mandola bibce. I don’t know why you cannot see my video. It seems ok from here. Here the link to YouTube if you wish. https://youtu.be/ifzMomsU_nE
  6. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks Mike & Kevin - that's "just" an Eastman MDA815 mandola, which I wound up putting a Cumberland Acoustics bridge on. With the right pick, it's got a nice, round and resonant sound (I'm using a ProPlec 1.5 here, which I don't like at all for mandolin).

I was able to see the video via the link, Kevin, and I had no idea those Carvalho's sounded so nice! Well played and nice arrangement.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice one Bruce I like your style with firm, deliberate emphasis on accuracy and tone, a little bit like Bertram's style of deciding on a note to play and then going for it. I’d also like to hear you play a tune that you know very well, and that’s at your maximum speed with maximum looseness and flow -making at least five errors in the A part! (maybe it’s what I’m thinking I’d like to do myself)

No, the bass line is iReal fake! I put it on afterwards using the same tempo to balance out the rhythm. It gives a sort of anchor point in order to accentuate the swing. That way I can make really small changes in rhythm, still stay at metronome timing precision and any changes I make will be more obvious.

John, over here in France I can see Kevin’s vid fine, it may just be interference up there in Scotland.
    Do you live near an airport or amusement park?
  8. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    It turns out a pig's foot is something a blacksmith uses. For some reason this gave me a sense of relief.

9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Kevin, the direct link worked fine, thanks. Nice version you play, and the mando sounds relly good. Your new camera gives very good video quality.

Simon, all other YT and Vimeo videos work fine here, both on desktop computer and laptop and I am not near any major possible causes of interference.

A real rouser there, Mike. Melody and backing all at once! And a cosy kitchen setting.
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    That's how it's supposed to go, Mike. Sounds really good. Nice little Monroe moment there at the end of the fourth A, and the ending caught me by surprise
  11. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Thanks. Actually I only got the slides right once toward the end. They start the last beat of the preceding measure. It's hard to get them in there and not crash the counting. Going to try to redo this tonight with my wife and fiddler friend Amy. If it works out, will share.
  12. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    Well played John. I enjoyed your version. The Zoom camera is good as it has a good built in mic, so good sound and video. So far I am impressed with it.
  13. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    And now for something not completely different, but a little different: Shove That Pig's Food A Little Closer to the Fire, redone last night with Korah & Amy on fiddle. (Scroll past the preliminary remarks; I didn't have time to re-edit.) Fun fact: Amy is cold-reading this tune for the first time. She played with the symphony before we seduced her away from the Dark Side with the sirene sound of folk music.

14. bbcee
    bbcee
    I'm dying of envy - a guitarist and fiddler to play with! Tell Amy she made the right decision, she sounds like she's been a folky forever.

What a good, rollicking version, thanks for sharing, Mike!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A good, fun session, Mike. You can see that you three have played together a lot - there is that ambience in your playing that comes from a group of players who are used to each other.
  16. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    Thanks for posting Mike. I really enjoyed that.
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Mike. Wonderful job on Pig's Foot by your group. Reminds us all how great it is to play music with other people. Really missing that.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm so glad I finally learnt what kind of pig's foot is meant! I had the same worries as you.

Rousing and well-played versions by all of you!
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon’s post gave this thread literally new live. Some great versions in the time since.

Kevin, you might want to edit your post dated from Jan-05-2021.

You'll find the edit button next to the date on the right margin. If you then are in the advanced modus please try to insert you video using the red YouTube icon. In the pop-up window only paste in the part of the YouTube link after the slash. In your case ifzMomsU_nE – please use the Preview Message button to make sure it works.

I tried it a minute ago. It works fine. Hope it helps.

Regards
    Frithjof
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123