Week #134 ~ Off She Goes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Listening to it on headphones and cannot hear anything out of the ordinary, Simon. Sounds good to me.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thank you Mr Kelly. Always appreciate your kind comments.
    It’s probably my ears but it sounds like there are two octave mandolins playing the melody line. -I put it through the master CD editing on BandLab.
    Also, I was using a prerecorded click track that was a little bit fast, no way to slow it down a bit, at least for the measures packed with eighths in the B part.
  3. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Love it, Simon!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing, Simon.
    The sound is indeed a little different compared to the usual sound of your videos but I can’t name the reasons. I don’t here a kind of second octave mandolin or echo.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Aaaaarggghhhh!
    I know what it is.
    I usually detach the audio from the vid and send it to BandLab to line it up with other audio tracks, then it gets master edited and then I download it and stick it back on the vid. Then I shift the audio tracks a tiny fraction, 3 clicks, back in time compared to the vid to sync correctly.
    Everything ok. Except I forgot to set the original sound track which was still within the vid to zero.
    So in fact there really are two lovely octaves, almost mirror image, playing together very slightly out of sync.
    That is very cool and I like it a lot. And as an artist it is exactly what I had planned.

Thanks for the love, Mike but I’m not like that.
    And thanks Frithjof, always nice to hear from you too.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall...This is the song in my head when I heard it revived here in the past few days by Mike and Simon. I used my octave with guitar backing and added in an improvised "slow jig" variation to the tune.

Photos were taken this morning in The Bishop's Glen above Dunoon, just a couple of miles from home. It is a lovely place for walking and was previously the town's main water supply, but is now managed by the local angling club.

7. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    John, When you play, who cares about the tremolo? you play masterfully!
  8. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Very nice, John. It was an ear worm for me as well. Looks you're not too far from Edinburgh? A week on the Royal Mile is at the top of my travel list once this virus fandango blows over.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Each measure stacked and strapped up with eighths, John.
    This tune doesn’t remind me of a nursery rhyme at all.

-thanks for the reminder.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your music,John, together with your landscapes - I simply enjoyed!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thank you all kindly, gents. Your comments are as generous as ever.

Mike, Scotland is so small geographically that no place is very far from any other, though in our rural areas, especially here in the west with our very convoluted coastline, it can take some time to get from place to place. I am under two hours drive from Edinburgh on motorways, but that does not count the 20 minute ferry crossing of the Clyde which saves a lot of miles. I do not live on an island, but the ferry just eliminates a long drive if I go all the way round by road.

Simon, back in 2011 when this thread started I see Michael Pastucha also referenced Humpty Dumpty and I reckon my improvisation ideas came from Michael's version back then.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12