Double Stop Scales

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hi All

One of the things I've struggled with is knowing what makes a double stop. What I mean is, how do you know what two notes make up, lets say, a G double stop or D double stop and etc.

Has anyone got a link to info or a lesson? Or even a book or handout.

Thanks
    Otto
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Have you seen "Pickloser's Guide to Doublestops"? If not, you can find it here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...5&d=1512233138
  3. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    THATS IT, thank you Hank, you always come through. This is perfect. It's the 135 of a Major. I've been looking for something like this to simplify it for me. Thanks again
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    That's a great resource, highly recommended.

The long answer to "which notes" would be "any two notes belonging to the appropriate chord". So if a minor chord it's any two of the 1 b3 5, major chord it's any two of the 1 3 5, major dominant 7th chord it could be 1 3 5 b7 (any two of the four), etc.

The easiest rule is that it sounds right with the melody or harmony of the tune when you play it, so you can just experiment.
  5. Spragster
    Spragster
    I have a book from my fiddle training days called melodious doublestops. Lots of progressively more difficult passages. Very much works for mandolins as well

Trott: Melodious Double-Stops for the Violin (Complete) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1423427092...ing=UTF8&psc=1
  6. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Doublestops are a concept I've been thinking about quite a bit lately.

This video from Matt Bruno came up recently in the main forum. Both the discussion and his diagrams are very clear.

I thought I'd cross post it here, because, for me, his presentation dovetails very well with the iconic Pickloser document. Watching Matt's video and looking at the diagrams, I experienced a bit of a lightbulb moment.

I plan to get some blank fretboard paper and write these out for multiple keys.