Domino - French Waltz

1. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    A very popular French waltz in Latin America.

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Jairo! This really benefits from the bouncy backup track -- what's the instrumentation (other than mandolin)?

This is on my list for a re-recording: I recorded it many years ago (twice - solo and as a quartet), and we play the tune occasionally with our mandolin group, but there definitely is room for improvement. It's really nice on mandolin, though, so worth putting a bit of effort in.

Martin
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That sounds SO French, Jairo. Beautiful mandolin playing that really suits the tune. In your magic box of backing tools have you by any chance a musette-tuned accordion sound to enrich that French flavour? I can imagine Inspector Maigret on the streets of Paris.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    The French Waltz faster than the Scots, John. Nice mandolin playing Jairo.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Lovely tremolo here again, Jairo.
    I agree with John about the future use of an accordion sound to back up French tunes.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice waltz! You are injecting quite a lot of musical variety here, and the to-do list is getting longer again. Thank you for contributing this lovely tune and playing.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Taking my lead from Jairo, I have now recorded another version of Domino at a much faster tempo than my previous ones. The tune does indeed work better when played faster. This one omits the harmony part we use when we play it with our group -- it's too intricate to play at that tempo (for me, at least). Also, leaving the harmony out declutters the arrangement.

This is a famous French waltz written in 1950 by accordionist Louis Ferrari and was a big worldwide hit for André Claveau in French and for Bing Crosby and Tony Martin in English.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing, Martin.
    Ones again it would be so nice to listen to the complete arrangement played by your whole group….
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely use of tremolo on this one, Martin.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Frithjof. And thanks to Jairo for reminding me of this great tune, and giving me the nudge to record that faster rendition I've been meaning to get around to for awhile.

Martin
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Another nice one, Martin. I have other priorities right now, but I definitely want to learn this one - perhaps even with a bit of accordion.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis. Looking forward to your musette accordion version!

Martin