Week #335 ~ Jerusalem Ridge

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Jerusalem Ridge, which was submitted as a Bill Monroe/Bluegrass tune.

I found these:

From abcnotation.com

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    It's a great tune.
    Previous outing in the other tunes section, kicked off by Old Sausage when he was a wee lad, already showing lightening fast fingers. I know he could go one further than this now - speed with a dollop of Reischman like tone? No pressure

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...scussionid=693
  3. GHall
    GHall
    Here's our go at Jerusalem Ridge. Hope you enjoy

4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's some mighty fine pickin'!
  5. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Good grief, she's good! Not sure I want to post now...
  6. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I'm telling you folks that girl right there is the next Sierra Hull. She just has the proverbial 'IT' Factor.
    Here is my stab at one one of Monroe's finest.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These are two fantastic renditions. You both make the song sound so fun to play.
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Great pickin there Squatch. You have that Monroe sound nailed down right fine.

Here's my go on mando, fiddle and guitar.

9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job Sasquatch and Woodenfingers!
  10. GHall
    GHall
    Great job, guys! And I appreciate the comments very much!
  11. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Most people play this tune way too fast and I made a video to prove my own point!

12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I agree that most people play this faster than they should, but on the other hand if they played it as well as you, with every phrase making sense and sounding effortless I'd say well okay. So, don't change a thing, that was great!
  13. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I like this tune a lot and I will give my compliments to GHal for making me enthausiast. That girl realy has a lot of talent! Sasquatch you did a wonderfull job too. That somewhat slower version sounds very good Bob! I don't know how you learn this tune so fast, Your version has it all Sgarrity. I hope to learn more variatons in this tune, but since I've gor a "new" Prucha mandolin I decided it's time to record something for this group. It's been a while
    The audiotrack comes from the bluegrass backingtrack website http://www.fbbts.com/ .
    Here it is;
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice new mandolin, Hendrik. You sure make it sound good! Both you and Sean really get moving on this tune and still manage to sound so relaxed.
  15. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done folks, i enjoyed listening to those different versions - luurtie, always nice to hear your take and that new mando is sounding good!
    here is my quick take on the octave, i dont have the up neck part sorted yet so will have to work on that:
  16. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Sean - great playing there. That's certainly not too fast for the tune but a bit too fast for my fingers... Well done.

Luurtie - same for you. Really nice clean picking at that speed and that Prucha sounds fabulous.

Johnny - you move right along too, you can certainly get around on that octave. The octave gives it an Eastern European sound to my ear. Great work.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great picking luurtie on a very fine sounding instrument!
    jonny250: very powerful "big" mandolin that! Well done and very inventive too.

Here's my version as good as I can get it in a week...

18. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I've really enjoyed everyone's take on this. I particularly like Michael's subtle approach- there is a real contrast between the first part low down then the staccato playing on the higher notes (if staccato is the right term, it's something about the timing of the notes and how long they are played) The mandolin really dances over the backing.
    Top marks to Jonny for doing something different. The stuck record groove at the end is hilarious - I thought there was something wrong with my internet connection so I had to watch it again. I know you are a bluegrass boy but did you holiday in Hungary this year?
  19. jonny250
    jonny250
    lol thanks james, yes on a long holiday and playing some fun folky music these days .
    Very nicely played michael, i always enjoy and learn from you!
  20. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow Jonny... that sounds different on your large mando. Completely different but very nice. Is it hard to play an octavemandolin?
    Michael, you sound very good!
  21. jonny250
    jonny250
    Thanks Luurtie. the hard part i find with the octave is the finger spacing and reaching. but i love the sound so just try and adjust the way i play it. i have a 22" but for playing tunes i expect a 20" might be easier.
  22. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice contributions from everyone. Jonny, you need to use your little finger on the 5th fret. After a couple of weeks you will be amazed how talented that little finger is.
  23. jonny250
    jonny250
    Thanks dustyamps, will work on it..
  24. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    To quote John Hartford, "Style is based on limitations."

25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Kudos to those before you... Michael that was a really great version! Tip of cap to you.
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    What I'm trying to say is ... enviable skillfulness!
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another cracker, Mike, and I liked your little foray up the neck!
  28. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great Bluegrass picking Mike!
  29. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    AWE-SOME. I don't normally listen to bluegrass, but I loved every bit of this. Thank you.