Amado Mio (tango)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Amado Mio (Doris Fisher/Allan Roberts), from the motion picture "Gilda" (1946)

This is an instrumental cover version of this classic film noir tango (the film is set in Buenos Aires), sung in the movie by Rita Hayworth's character (dubbed by Anita Kert Ellis), and later covered by Grace Jones and by Pink Martini.

I am playing it as a trio of mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar, based on a leadsheet from the old Wikifonia site.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played and it's from a great, great movie!
  3. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done Martin. You got that tango swing in there.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks both!

It's a fun tune, and indeed a great movie -- Rita Hayworth is the quintessential femme fatale in that role! It's online in full length:

Link

Amado Mio starts at 1:26.48 into the movie, with Rita in a rather spectacular two-piece evening gown.

The transcription I've used is based more on the 1990s Pink Martini cover than the original soundtrack version -- they've expanded on the tango vibe and put a hot latin groove over it, making it more danceable but less sultry. The instrumental middle section should really have a smoking piano solo.

It's fun playing the bass part on mandocello.

Martin
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    We have been playing this great tango with our group for some years now -- always very popular with all our players, especially the bass line which we play on octave mandolin when we meet. For my recording, I've used the mandocello instead for that low growling tone.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    By request, I've uploaded the transcriptions I've used for my arrangement:

Lead sheet
    Bass line

Martin