Week #126 ~ Seneca Square Dance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. KyleG_MandolinMuse
    KyleG_MandolinMuse

Hey everyone, I learned Seneca Square Dance off of the forum last week, and have finally taken the time to register for the site and upload a video of my take on it. My version's pretty simple (I just based it on the accordion version at the top of the forum), and I'd welcome any feedback. I've been playing the mandolin for about 8 years now, and want to commit myself to learning more tunes. I've been following Mandolin Cafe for a few years, and figured that becoming a part of the community would be a great way to push my playing to the next level. (Also, I was encouraged by a professor of mine to get online and discover what online community is all about, so I'm looking forward to this.) Hope you all don't mind me joining. I'm playing a Vega mandolin that I bought from a friend of mine; he got it from his father, who got it from a friend, so we're not sure where/when it was made. I use a Blue Chip CT pick, and D'Addario (Grisman set) strings.
  2. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice clean pickin' Kyle. Always nice to welcome a new picker from the lurker ranks! I liked the B slide. I may try to add that to my version. I have found that learning new tunes is what keeps me going; otherwise I get bored and play less and less. And recording myself makes me work harder at polishing what I learn. And putting myself out here for other mandolin players to hear makes me work even harder. You made a good decision and I expect to hear more from you young man!
  3. KyleG_MandolinMuse
    KyleG_MandolinMuse
    Thanks Martin. It seems like a great group, and you're right, if you're not pushing yourself to learn new material, you're probably not getting any better. I feel like I'm in great company here.
  4. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    A fine job, Kyle. I especially like the idea of learning and blogging it. Play on, sir.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good job, Kyle. I liked not only the slide but also the hammer-ons. As Martin says. the Cafe and specially the SAW group give us the impetus to learn new stuff and measure how we are playing against all the other posters. I have found that I will attempt to pick up tunes other than my favourite Scottish diet (and the Irish jigs and reels that Jill often inspires) and the Seneca Square Dance is just such a tune - new and different.
    Look forward to more postings from you!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice one, Kyle. As you probably can tell from any of my versions, I'm all for slides, but a pinky slide up to the B is extra impressive. Bonus points. Oh, and the lingering influence of Monroe on your Vega is definitely detectable,. Are you sure he didn't bump or brush up against it in some way?
  7. KyleG_MandolinMuse
    KyleG_MandolinMuse
    Thank you John and Marcelyn. The rumour is that Monroe actually played it, but I find that way too good to actually believe. That said, I'll take whatever help I can get, and if it happens to be the lingering presence of Monroe himself, well. . . Who's going to say no to that? Thanks again for the welcome.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle, that was great, and welcome to the group! Hope to see and hear more from you! A couple of tips on videoing..... it seems your image is mirrored (or are you a lefty?), and it would be great to see more of your mandolin (picking hand). You should be able to figure out how to do a video not reversed (on my computer, which is a Mac, if I record in Photo Booth, it's mirrored, but if I record in iMovie, it's right.) I've also discovered that if I make my movie widescreen (16:9) it chops off the top and bottom of the video, but if I make it in standard (4:3) I'm able to see more of the mando!
  9. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    Here's my go on my 1920 A3. This is the second mandolin I ever owned. I've had it for just over 25 years now. . .

f-d
  10. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Awesome, Fatt-Dadd. That A3 sounds great and can see why you've kept it for over 25 years now. Great to see you posting on here and thanks for reminding me of this tune that I need to record sometime....
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok this is number 199!
    Only 4 hours left of the year 2020 (yeeeehaaaar!)
    -so only another one tune to go to get to 200 before that clock strikes.

https://youtu.be/MFceVGQ8us0
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This tune is on my to-do list for a long time, thanks Simon for your great version to remind me.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing, Simon. And great to go through all the old versions in this thread!
  14. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Well done. I don't think I've heard this tune before.
  15. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A fine rendition, Simon. I know this tune from the late great Butch Baldassari. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO_4kKbL96M
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents.
    Yes Don I was listening to his playing of Midnight on the Water the other night. Just beautiful. The rolling fiddle too.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    During the last weeks, I practiced classical techniques for the main part: the rest stroke, getting fluent in the upper positions and so on.
    But today I felt like playing a fiddle tune. I remembered Seneca Square Dance and played AABB once with a simple chordal accompaniment on my steel-string guitar.
    When I listen to the recordings here, I know that I should have practiced it for a while, so I would be able to speed it up a bit. Great versions ten years ago! And one month ago by Simon. BTW Whats'up Simon?
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice one, Christian! I don't think I could learn this tune without wanting to go into Inisheer after the first few notes. It reminds me so much of that melody.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12