Week #152 ~ Congress Reel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    This banjo has a Leedy pot and a Rettenburg neck which must have been put on in the 30s in place of the original neck. It is very loud and has a great sound. I was lucky to buy it but have given it up to a new owner as of this week.

Mike Keyes
  2. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well here is my slooow version, possibly more of a waltz lol - i didnt really make any progress trying to learn triplets as my sliced finger has been keeping me off the instrument this week, but i wanted to have a go anyway:
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    ...proton torpedo: loaded.
    ...target: locked on.
    ...finger: sliced.
    ...mission: accomplished.
  4. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    I already know this one so can catch up a week after my Moroccan adventures. I limit the triplets in this reel as I find it hard to fit them in too many places...

5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent job, peddyr - to me that seems like plenty of triplets
  6. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    This tune has a kind of frantic, kind of aggressive vibe to it that I find compelling. I'm still working on learning it, inspired by all these versions. Love the banjo, Mikeeyes! Sliced finger or not, you nailed it, Jonny ... didn't sound waltzy to me. Triples do not always a tune make, lovely as they are ... I agree with Mr. Sausage that peddyr's version had just the right amount.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Loretta, that aggressive vibe you like is a common feature of the Dorian scale. My favourite, too.
  8. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Ah, my patient teacher is trying to teach me about modes; wouldn't have even guessed Congress was played in Dorian. I'm just trying to figure out where to put my fingers (learning tunes by ear). So far, I can recognize Ionian and Mixolydian. Now maybe I'll be able to recognize the Dorian mode, it's definitely not Hawaiian sounding .
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow, this is a first-time experience. Nobody ever called me a patient teacher, and for good reasons.

Maybe it helped that I am a consultant...
  10. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Hahaha, Bertram .... somehow I don't think you'd be all that patient. I should have been more clear ... I meant my patient teacher, Zak. Who isn't all that patient trying to fix my pick direction. He's isn't letting me pull the "old lady" card anymore. Please forgive the thread drift here. I blame Congress.
  11. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    Mike, playing along with your video was a great help to me learning this tune, so i hope you don't mind but that's the way i recorded it, a transatlantic effort

12. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice duet and clean picking by both of you.
    Jonny. I think 'Big Brother' is watching. Is that the reason for the disguise
    at about 1:10? You had a nice easy bounce to your playing.
    Gary
  13. jonny250
    jonny250
    Ha GKW well done I dont take myself toooo seriously! and was having fun with the new video program as well.

Well played gortnamona!

I found a great version of this on itunes, well great until half way through the song when they change key lol. Thats a challenge...
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's the spirit Gort - despite being transatlantic there's no modern hitech angle to your overdub; instead, it has that terrific gaslight feel of being recovered from inside the Titanic.

I can see that you fixed your video sync problem, too.
  15. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    Thanks Bertram and to think i nearly made it through a full day without someone mentioning the bloody Titanic
  16. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here's my , as usual, rather late entry into SAW:

I'm rediscovering why I don't do this more often - my camera spits out .mov videos, which MS Movie Maker can't handle. I thought I had this solved with new codecs, but something has reverted back to old stuff. I'm reduced to trimming videos in YouTube. Still, here it is, another tune I learned way back on whistle that you'all are making learn on the mandolin.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You'll get a speeding ticket for that CD , but I noticed some interesting accidentals in the B parts anyway. This is bound to rush past a Microsoft product's comprehension like a hellfire rocket past a caveman.
  18. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Bertram, Thanks, although I don't think I'm close for an Irish speeding ticket. And they're called "accidentals" for a reason: one in particular is just a mistake (or maybe it's jazz...) I also tried for some cool syncopation, and lost a half-beat. Oops. I'm sure it's here somewhere...
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice one Dana, boy you play that fast enough for me.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Back for another go. I always kind of liked my arrangement on this one, and it's one of my favorite tunes that has stayed with me, but I never really liked the execution or the recording particularly, so I tried again:

21. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Another great tune I never heard before. Sounds great David, looks like a real left-hand workout.
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Dusty - it keeps you pretty busy with both hands, this tune.
  23. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    I bet, but well worth it! Awesome pickin and a great mandolin tune.
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice playing. I love seeing the progress between videos a few years apart. Out of curiosity, I had to check and it looks like you've gotten it so close if not right up to speed with that version in the Sherlock movie. Pretty impressive.
  25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Marcelyn! I think they still have a few bpm on me, it would be quite a challenge for me to play it at their speed without simplifying it a bit, but I'm nearly happy with the speed I've got it to now for the version I'm playing - it moves along nicely
  26. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I love it David, what a nice arrangement and good playing!
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very nice version David. But - that mandolin keeps kind of looking at me like a big smiley
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It looks a bit like this one:
  29. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    loved it, brilliant OS
  30. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Was gonna start a new thread, but saw this one here! I recorded a quick run through of this one tonight. I stole this from Nickel Creek-- an old show when it looks like they were still in their early 20s. They apparently would play this one as an interlude to In the House of Tom Bombadil, but they performed it in G minor as opposed to the much more common A Minor. Thought it sounded really cool that way.

31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine bit of picking there, MMC.
  32. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Yes, fine picking, indeed MandoMan.
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    G minor is such a tough key on mandolin! I'm just trying to learn my first G minor tune - a mazurka, much slower than this - and it's a struggle! You play this very well.
  34. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very impressive, speedy version of that reel MMC!
  35. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nice. Love Gm.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12