Ne me quitte pas (Jacques Brel)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is my instrumental cover of Jacques Brel's song, known as "If You Go Away" in English. Played on mandolin with tenor guitar backing, a bit faster than the original. This is a re-make of my 2016 recording here.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

In typical Youtube fashion, they have put a copyright match on "Annie Laurie" (which I have of course disputed), but not on this song which is genuinely in copyright...

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Brel was good, and you do a good version of his song here. I also remember you did a great recording of Amsterdam!

Personally, I prefer Georges Brassens ... now there's something I've never heard on mandolin.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Looks like you had a sleepless night going through the SAW backlog of tunes, Dennis! It's only when you play "Amsterdam" as an instrumental that you notice that Brel used the tune of Greensleeves for it.

Thanks for all your comments, and as a special bonus here is a Brassens song on mandolin that I did in 2017, "Ballade des dames du temps jadis":

This is a mazurka written by Brassens to accompany the famous poem of the same name by the 15th century poet Francois Villon -- famous for its recurring refrain "Ou sont les neiges d'antan?", translated by Rosetti as "Where are the snows of yesteryear?". From the French Tourne a l'Aube tunebook that Simon alerted us to.

Martin
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, Martin! When I said that I'd never heard Brassens on mandolin, I obviously just hadn't looked in the right places. I know this melody very well from his recordings, and your interpretation captures the spirit of the original.