Anybody want to try Eel in the Sink?

1. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    "Eel in the Sink" was tied with "Devil's Dream" in the last posted poll. Anybody interested in giving it a whirl? Looks like a fun reel. AKA "The Blackthorn." I wonder if this is the same as "The Blackthorn Stick" a piper at the late great session here used to do. My musical memory is spotty.

http://thesession.org/tunes/1446
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sounds interesting - I thought it was some Asian dish. It seems to go with other recordings of "Blackthorn", but "Blackthorn Stick" is a jig.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I know you all thought I was MIA.... but I have put this tune on the poll #541, so hopefully, it will win, and it can have it's place in the official tunes!
  4. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    We're just glad you didn't perish in the Texas winter! Or the Iowa winter. Both have been dreadful, but now it is March.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Barbara, reading your other post I find it amazing that you can still find the time to stay on top of the SAW group and keep us together with your regular input. Thanks again for your great efforts over so many years, and let's hope the next few months will give us all a bit more of what was known pre-Covid as normality!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Normal? -had to look that one up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_(geometry)
  7. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    The new normal geometry must look something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_...ed_surface.svg

8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I, for one, have no desire to go back to all of what used to be considered normal. I've been enjoying less pollution, less traffic, fewer planes in the sky, and a slightly quieter life. Having said that, John did of course talk about "a bit more" normality, and that would indeed be welcome. I hope it will be possible for communities and existences to be rebuilt in less harmful and more sustainable ways than previously. Apparently there have been record numbers of guitar sales in places, so perhaps home-made music is going to play a part in the new normality for some people!

This sounds like a tune worth playing! Given what Barbara said, though, it may yet become song of the week soon enough. It will take me ages to learn, anyway, so I'll take this thread as a heads-up!
  9. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Simon wrote: "Normal? -had to look that one up.
    Normal (geometry)"

Michael Romkey wrote:
    "The new normal geometry must look something like this:
    Normal vectors on a curved surface"

Good ones, y'all!

And speaking of 90-degree angles, or the illusion of such, perhaps the famous Escher-esque Penrose triangle will also be part of our new normal:

(the above pic is my quickie non-artistic digital rendition, starting from this, which I then fancied up with some Photoshop filters and coloring)

Wikipedia says of this shape:

"The tribar appears to be a solid object, made of three straight beams of square cross-section which meet pairwise at right angles at the vertices of the triangle they form. The beams may be broken, forming cubes or cuboids.

"This combination of properties cannot be realized by any three-dimensional object in ordinary Euclidean space."
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I already imagine phantom pints of beer and places that I can actually walk into, JL. Now impossible geometry to contend with. All we need now is that staircase going nowhere. Have to go for a lie down, I think.
  11. Jess L.
    Jess L.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    as for staircases...

(what makes this movie so Scottish? It has Sean Connery in it)

But this current situation teaches me what Hotel California must be like.
  13. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Interesting to get a glimpse into the mandolinists' inner psychology in this string! I like Gelsenbury's thinking. I tend to be a malcontent about the recent situation, but from a wider perspective, I feel blessed to be able to sit in the kitchen every morning, drink an excess of good strong black coffee, and play music. The unexpected dividends have been enormous. When things open up -- we're starting to see hints of daylight here in the U.S. -- I would expect to see a noticeable leap forward in music quality. Forced to stay at home for a year and play music ... it's tough to grouse about it when looked at from that point of view.