Posting a Video to the Newbies Group

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I've been trolling the Newbies posts for how to post a video to a social group thread. Even did a Google search without success. I have some old notes on this, Henry, but they're a mess. If anyone has written instructions for posting videos - and PDFs - I would appreciate he or she sharing them
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    FYI, I do know how to post videos and PDFs in the Forum. My recollection is social groups work differently.
  3. NDO
    NDO
    I don’t think it’s any different Sherry- just hit “go advanced” if you don’t see the icons you need to use.
    This hopefully means we’re about to get to hear the new Weber!!
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Don! And, yes. Maybe today. Just don't let the playing detract from the instrument!
  5. NDO
    NDO
    We believe in you Sherry!
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Had planned to post my video in a TOM thread, but my best tunes haven't come up yet.
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    The first thing is that the video must be on YouTube or Vimeo or some other such video hosting service. I use YouTube, as do most of us Newbies. So my instructions will be for posting a YouTube video.

1. Get the YouTube ID for the video you want to post. This can be found in the URL for the video. Here is an example - I have a video at this address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Dt0QhNOuQ . The id is the 11 characters after the v= , j7Dt0QhNOuQ.

Here is another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UUP4Dy47M&t=2s . The ID is the 11 characters after the v= , 09UUP4Dy47M.

The url may have lots of other stuff in it, but it will always have a "v=" in the URL and the "v=" will be followed by the 11 character ID. Note that if there is anything following the ID, there will be an & right after the ID, so the ID is everything following the v= up to but not including the & .

2. When you have the ID, you are ready to post. When you start your reply or new thread, the editor may or may not have a "YouTube" button. This button is red and on the bottom row of formatting buttons. If you do not see it, click the button for "Go Advanced" or "Preview Message" just below the editor box. That should bring up the full editor. Note - the "Quick Reply" box does not have the YouTube button -- hit the Go Advanced button.

3. Type your message in the editor and then put the cursor where you want the video to appear. Then click the YouTube button. A dialog will ask "Please enter the option for your [YOUTUBE] tag:". Type or paste the ID for the video in the box and then hit Enter. This will place the embedding codes into your typed message.

4. Now hit the "Preview Message" button to verify that you can see the embedded video. If it looks ok, then hit the "Post Message" button.

I know this all sounds intricate and arcane, but I didn't write the software. And in fact, it is pretty simple once you know what the YouTube ID is. All you have to do is find the red YouTube button and put the ID into the dialog box.
  8. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Henry, especially as you've provided this before. Too bad it's hard to find down the road. I've learned, though, to copy important info, paste it to Word, then save it. So, I shouldn't have to ask for this again.
  9. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Well, here's a question. If you put something up on You Tube can anyone and his sister look at it? I might not mind you guys looking at my video, but that's cause we're all friends here. I get a little squirmy with my ArtistWorks videos to MM being visible to anyone on that site, but I had to get over that.
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    When you post to YouTube, you are given the option of the video being "public", "unlisted", or "private". "Public" means anybody can find it and view it. "Unlisted" means the video will not turn up in your youtube channel or in searches - basically nobody can find it unless they have an explicit link to the video's URL.

If I post an Unlisted video here, Newbies can see it because an embedded video is basically just a link to the video's URL. But people won't find that video unless they come here (or unless you give them the URL for the video some other way).

If I mark a video as Private, nobody can see it but me. Not sure, but it might be possible to grant access to a private video to individuals. I just never use it except by accident.
  11. NDO
    NDO
    Hank nailed it. Most of the ones I’ve posted here are unlisted but there are some public ones on my channel as well.
  12. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. Probably I'll do one pretty soon.
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Sue, can't wait!