Adding a pick-up

1. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Hello,

I am a new owner of a Big Muddy MW-0. I bought it in December. I really like it.

I am thinking of adding a pickup. I believe the recommendation is for a K&K. Has anybody added this to your Big Muddy? Or have an alternative recommendation? Install it internally, or use the external?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    I added one, and it's not the easiest, but not impossible either. I did the K&K since that's what Mike Dulak does and recommends when he builds the instruments. You're going to need to remove the pin and unscrew where the plate where the strings are attached and then put it in. The directions from K&K aren't bad.

And another though, contact Mike Dulak. Especially if you're in the USA, and he might just do it for you for a relatively small charge.

He repaired a cracked top on mine, and was very reasonable. And I live in Missouri, about 2 hours from Mike's shop, although I did send it through the USPS.
  3. MrMoe
    Internal has advantages. The install is indeed tricky. the tailpiece and the mandolin both have to be drilled. The transducers are small and require careful placement, working by feel inside the mandolin. There several good threads regarding this in the cafe forum.
  4. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I would not be installing myself, but paying a luthier. I hadn't considered shipping my instrument to Missouri, but I might think about that. I was planning to order the pickup from them, which is a little more expensive than I can get it elsewhere, but supports the builder, which I want to do, since they didn't get anything when I bought the used instrument.
  5. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    This is how to contact Mike. dulak@bigmuddymandolin.com