Mary's Return (O'Neill #0023)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This was originally an Irish air in 6/8 time from O'Neill's "Music Of Ireland: 1850 Melodies", where it is No. 23.

This quartet arrangement is by our member "harper" (thanks, Evelyn!), who has changed it into a waltz. I have adapted Evelyn's arrangement for a quartet of two mandolins, mandocello and tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is another re-recording of a tune we (used to) play regularly with our group. When we play it, it's quite waltz-like as it's hard to play slow airs with a larger ensemble. For this recording, I have tried to go back to a less rhythmic slow air feel which probably suits the tune better.

Using Evelyn's bass line, played on mandocello, plus tenor guitar arpeggios, but leaving out Evelyn's harmony to make the arrangement more open.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A lovely tune and arrangement, Martin, and well played. For some reason I missed your original posting - as did everyone else by the looks of it. It too is a beautiful arrangement and I totally agree with you about trying to play articulate slow airs in any ensemble. Another tune I am going to hunt out and learn.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nicely played, Martin. I enjoyed this one very much.
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very pleasant arrangement, beautifully played, Martin. It really fits the tune, that you use tremolo only at the ends of the phrases.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I do agree with Christian.

My spontaneous attempt to play along with your recording, Martin, failed as long as I read the music of O’Neill.
    I found my download of Evelyn’s Irish Book 1 – She took the freedom to change the rhythm slightly. I like it. And now it’s fun to play along with you.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, all!

Frithjof: Yes, Evelyn changed it from O'Neill's 6/8 time to 3/4 time -- I can see how that's off-putting when trying to play along.

Christian: I deliberately used less tremolo after deciding I wanted a less dense arrangement. That's also why I left out Evelyn's harmony part, which is elaborate but quite challenging as it's mainly off-beat counter melody which distracts from O'Neill's beautiful slow air melody.

Martin
  8. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Very pretty.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian: The left-out harmony part seems kind of made for you and your recent challenge to practice upper neck playing.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Really lovely rendition there Martin!
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, very well played! A very enjoyable melody.