Hello!

1. GC Anders
    GC Anders
    Just wanted to say hello, I've lurked for a while on these forums but now I'm posting. Started playing about six months ago on a Rover RM50, but I started feeling that I was fighting against it as I was progressing in practice, so I went on a search for an upgrade... and ended up recently getting an Eastman MD805 that really sings! Looking forward to posting around here with y'all!
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Welcome from a fellow lurker, GC!
  3. NDO
    NDO
    Welcome GC! I’m just a month ahead of you on a Rogue and a couple of months ahead upgrading to an MD605, I hope you enjoy the Eastman as much as I do.
    This site has a lot to offer and some terrific people.
  4. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Hey, nice to "meet" ya! I got my first mando (Kentucky KM200S) just a year ago last week! Got my Stradolin last July. So much fun, no?
  5. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    If you can afford to, it's nice to remove any possible barriers to getting better!

I remember back in 1982 I was frustrated on acoustic guitar. I had a mediocre instrument and decided to eliminate all excuses by getting a Martin HD28. It was a great move. I found out that my problems were half me, half the instrument. It was nice to be able to focus on the half-me issues! (I'm still working on that, of course.)

A good musician can make good music on a poor instrument. (When singing, that's my goal!) But it's a LOT easier to become a good musician when you have a decent instrument to learn on. Especially for the 90% of us who aren't naturally gifted.
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hi, GC, and welcome!
  7. GC Anders
    GC Anders
    One interesting thing I found is that my fingers were reacting to the D'addario phosphor bronze strings... I hadn't used those in ages but my new mandolin came with them, and they turn my fingertips white and chalky! I've been liking monels for a while, so I restrung it with a set of those. And wow, the Eastman sounds so jangly and woody with those on, I love it!
  8. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    That's interesting, never heard of that! On guitar I dislike phosphor bronze and vastly prefer 80/20, at least on any guitars I've owned. I can see phosphor bronze for an instrument that's a bit dull and needs some sparkle, or perhaps for performers that want extra sizzle on stage (haven't done much of that on acoustic in too long.) But for playing or recording I prefer what sounds to me like the much more natural and balanced tone of 80/20. Yet it seems everyone else seems to prefer the ph/brz. Go figure. It'll be interesting to find out what sounds best on my mandolin.

My go-to strings for guitar have been Elixir Nanowebs, for decades now. Before that I liked Martin strings, but I'd have to change them nearly once a month, when playing regularly. With the Elixirs I've been changing strings every 6 to 12 months! (I have low-corrosive hands, though. YMMV.) Sure saves a lot of time and money. I never get the "just changed" super bright tone that I used to get, which would fade after a few days. I used to love that but now prefer the more balanced tone that I get right off the bat and keep for a long time with the Elixirs.
  9. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome, GC. Good to have you here.
  10. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I've never heard of the fingers reacting to the strings, but I have the opposite problem...my strings seem to wear quickly for reasons that I can only put down to reacting to the oils in my skin. I have tried several different types and haven't found one that doesn't wear. I am using GHS lights on my Big Muddy.

Anyway, welcome GC.