Snowbird

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    There are two previous threads for "Snowbird" on the SAW group, but both are for a lovely original waltz posted a few years back by Lurtie (who has not been active here for a while, unfortunately. Where are you, Hendrik?)

My recording is of "Snowbird" by Canadian singer Anne Murray, played here on mandolin with electric guitar backing (Sorry, Ginny, an electric guitar on an acoustic recording!).

I have added an improvisation to the tune for a bit of variety.

2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hello John, I never knew this tune was called Snowbird. I recognised the melody from the dutch song "laaienlichter" by dutch singer gerard Cox. It's a nice tune and you played it very well! Thank you for not have forgotten me. I still play the mandolin a lot and I read this thread every now and then. I might gave you the impression I'd lost my interest in this group but that's not the case. It's all about priority and I think I will be back soon.
  3. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Fun hearing this on the mandolin. These was a staple of the Lawrence Welk Show on TV, if you’ve ever gotten a chance to see that. Anne sometimes guested.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Well John, It turned out beautifully regardless of the little electric addition. I very much like your improvisation on the second part. I have only heard Anne Murray sing this and always thought it was hers - but I am wrong. You woulda done 'er proud.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice, John, I remembered this tune but couldn’t place it.
    I too have been very busy recently but I do turn up at the Cafe and SAW on a regular basis.
    Have some rare and odd tunes that I’ll post soon, thanks everyone for your tunes.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. It is a fun tune to play.

Lawrence Welk is not a name I had ever heard, Mike, so a reason to have a quick browse on that well-known search engine.

I hoped you would forgive the electric intrusion, Ginny! I was playing this tune right after our latest collaboration and the improvised section just came to me after I had added the guitar backing track. I discovered too that "Snowbirds" is the label used for those Canadian citizens who migrate south for the winter to warmer climes. Amazing where music leads us.

Good to hear from Hendrik and Simon too. We will look forward to more postings from you both.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, John, for this addition to my early morning .
    As much as I like acoustic instruments … your recording sounds great with your electric guitar.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Electric and acoustic mix beautifully!
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof and Christian. It's good to ring the changes at times.
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice arrangement John - I like the electric as well - and your mandolin is sounding mighty fine.

Luurtie! Nice to "hear" from you! I too wondered where you were, glad all is well.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bruce.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Fun tune and fun interpretation John. I have a nagging feeling now that I have heard this before, but where?

P.S. I now remember hearing it on the radio sometimes in my youth, and I always thought it was Karen Carpenter*

*) you must do "Close to You" next!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram. It does sound like one the Carpenters might well have done. It has certainly been covered by many performers.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Well played, John. The electric guitar blends right in nicely and adds to the tune. But I have to ask: do you have a distortion pedal for that electric? And when will you be breaking that out?
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Don. I have not used pedals for many years, aiming for a clean sound. I still have a few, but always just leave them out of the equation. The guitar is a Californian Strat - a model only built for a couple of years; it used standard US parts but was partly finished in Mexico, hough enough US input to allow it to be labelled as an American-made model.