La Paloma

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Trying to widen the scope a bit: everybody knows La Paloma, and it's great fun to play on mandolin! I've scanned and uploaded the lead part for our group arrangement, which works pretty well as a solo piece, too. Let's see whether this link works:

La Paloma sheet music

Here's my recording on my Embergher bowlback.

These triplets are great fun to play!

Martin
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Sebastián Iradier (1809-1865): La Paloma

This is our trio arrangement for mandolin, mandola (octave mandolin) and guitar of this famous tune, written by a Basque, but most associated with Cuba and Mexico. Another tune from our group's repertoire folder, probably arranged by Tony Judge. I recorded the first mandolin part solo five years ago, but it's much better with all three parts.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just re-recorded our group's version of "La Paloma". Some improv required when I realised after recording the solo mandolin video that I didn't actually have a copy of our octave mandolin part at home -- it's in our OM player's repertoire folder. As the OM has the melody intro before the mandolin takes over, I have transcribed the intro from my old 2015 video to play on mandocello which then takes the bass line for the rest of the video.

The old link above to the mandolin part still works (but doesn't have the OM intro).

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Martin has left the loft. I don't think I have not ever seen you in your usual space. You are getting nice sound here though. very nice.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny. It's actually the fourth tune recorded in our living room downstairs over the weekend -- I uploaded Newcastle as well as Dancing Doll and Benjamine yesterday.

I also tried out a new external webcam and microphone (Blue Yeti). The webcam is I think an upgrade to my internal laptop one, although it's widescreen so there is some distortion. Not sure about the microphone. The sound is fine, but had some issues with the levels. I think I may prefer my old Zoom H2n.

Martin