Shaking Down the Acorns

1. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    I learned this West Virginia fiddle tune while on vacation in the Ozarks. This gets played various ways but the basic form seems to be AAABB with a variation in the second B. So maybe it's really AAABC but the last two are pretty similar.

2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice rootsy fiddle tune, played very well!
  3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great, Mike. Cool minor tune and well-played. Really like the tone you get. What source did you learn this one from?

You show yourself to be a true gentleman--you have a banjo but you didn't play it.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It sounds and looks all very cool and easy…
    …until we try to play it ourself.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine tune and so well piayed, Mike. I like how you so easily get those headphones on and off as you change instruments!
  6. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Very nice, both playing and sound,
  7. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Hey thanks all. I heard a guy playing a version with a great groove on Facebook. It's copied in my feed. I was feeling like I didn't do mine fast or ragged enough, but I've been listening to claw hammer banjo player Adam Hurt a lot and he seems to shoot for slow and tasteful so I cranked it back. (I'll include the banjo, Don, when I can get something like music out of it!) I'll put a link to the PDF below. The one I went with is a transcription attributed to Bruce Molsky.

https://www.mne.psu.edu/lamancusa/tu...downacorns.pdf
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    Super fine, Mike. Adam Hurt is a great inspiration for sure. The tone of the mandolin sounds nice & open as well.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Like the driving, trance rhythm Mike. Sounds almost like some rolling HillBilly music I’ve heard. (If that’s the right term)