Lillibulero

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    "Lillibulero" (also spelled "Lilliburlero" or "Lillibullero") was one of the most popular English tunes of the late 17th and early 18th century, and was adapted to many different sets of lyrics. It was also played as a British army march and for many years the signature tune of the BBC World Service.

The first known publication of the tune was in 1686 in Playford's "The Delightful Companion" (a recorder method book), as part of a quickstep attributed to Henry Purcell (although that attribution has been questioned, and it is more likely that it was already a well-known folk tune at the time). It was first included in the 8th Edition of Playford's Dancing Master in 1690. By that time it had become a song associated with William of Orange in his fight against James II.

I am playing the tune roughly at marching (or dancing) speed using an arrangement for English country dancing by David M. Brown. Thanks, David!

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version of a great old tune, Martin. I did not know of the connection with King William of Orange, who had the famous victory over King James II at the Battle of The Boyne in 1690 - an event still celebrated annually on the 12th of July by one side of the Irish divide!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John. The Wikipedia entry has a lot about the lyrics of the song and its prominence in the 1689/90 fighting although it does contradict the tunearch.org attribution on authorship. I understand the tune is still associated with Irish protestantism and the Orange Order (also through being used more recently for the song "Protestant Boys"), so may not be one to bring out in a session. Other lyrics used with the tune include "Old Woman Tossed In A Blanket" and "The Farmer's Curst Wife", both of which may not offend catholics but might offend old women...

Martin
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Great arrangement Martin. We had a thread for this tune in 2010 when you first did a version. Only ten years ago but in those days I did not even have a webcam - it was just audio and here it is http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...2&d=1283951329
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Maudlin -- the problem with having a tune with so many spelling variants is that it's easy to miss the old thread. Your link doesn't seem to work, but I found it eventually:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...847&do=discuss

Martin
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I like everything about this tune: its basic melody, the arrangement and the way you play it, Martin.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian -- much appreciated!

I did actually record it at a slower tempo originally, but re-recorded it when I decided it needed more drive and a danceable beat. However, the slower version does make David's nice bass and harmony lines more audible, so I've just uploaded the MP3 to the Cafe (but not Youtube). Exactly the same arrangement and instrumentation, just played slower:

Martin
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thanks for finding the correct link, Martin.