Wild Rose of the Mountain

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I got this tune recently and liked it so much I wanted to record a version on octave, mandolin and guitar. It is a Scottish slow air written by the late John M Mason who was the famous conductor and arranger (and composer) for The Scottish Fiddle Orchestra.
    It is not the tune of the same name which a lot of you will already know (though I do not!).
    Thanks too to Jill for alerting me to soundcloud.com as a host for mp3 files - I have put the tune there as a try-out of the system. Hope this is permissible rather than (or as well as) using the link on the site here for mp3 uploads.

http://soundcloud.com/user9128887/wi...f-the-mountain
  2. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Thanks for that lovely tune John. Your Soundcloud.com mp3 worked great here in San Diego but I did miss your usual video of the lochs and highlands.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Wild Rose Of The Mountain is a lovely tune, which I learned a little while ago from an ABC at Nigel Gatherer's site. Nigel appears to have removed that ABC, or at least I can't find it anymore, but here is a recording I made of the tune a few months ago:

This is the slow air written by John Mason, as in John's recording. The name is also used for an unrelated (but rather nice) song by Si Kahn, which I know but don't play.

Martin
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Mike, thanks for kind comments from San Diego. Glad you enjoy our Scottish scenery! martin, tune still to be found on the session.org site, strangely labelled as an Irish tune! Here is the abc I used when I was learning the tune recently:

X:1
    T:The Wild Rose of the Mountain
    C:John M Mason
    O:Scottish Fiddle Orchestra -written by John for this orchestra
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=86
    K:G
    V:1
    D2|:"G"G4D2|"D"A4D2|"G"B3cd2|"C"e3fg2|"G"d3ed2|B4G 2|"Am"A6-"D"A4D2|
    "G"G4D2|"D"A4D2|"G"B3cd2|"C"e3fg2|"G"d3BG2|"D"A4B2 |1"C"G6-|"G"G4D2:|2"C"G6-|"G"G4d2|
    "G"dB3d2|"C"dc3d2|"D"f3g/f/ ef|"G"g4d2|"C"e3fg2|"G"d4B2|"Am"A6-|"D"A4d2|
    "G"dB3d2|"C"dc3d2|"D"f3g/f/ ef|"G"g4"D"fe|"G"d3BG2|"D"A4B2|"C"G6-|"G"G4d2|"G"dB3d2|"C"dc3d2|
    "D"f3g/f/ ef|"G"g4fe|d4e2|dB-B4|"Am"A6|"D"-A4GF|"C"E3FG2|"D"F3GA2|
  5. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    John, that was really great, a fantastic tribute......
  6. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Nice, Martin ... I like the first video especially. Wow, John ... that's a very moving tribute. Thank you!
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff there John, really really lovely.

Martin's version was lovely as well and as always that Ajr sounds just great!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    John, that is very nicely done. Thanks!
    Good job also, Martin.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Beautiful, John and Martin!

Just like Mike, I miss the pictures of gorse on the hillsides and murmuring burns - I'll have to make do with Martin's furniture for now, but please John: next time?

The reference to the fiddle orchestra reminded me of a record I bought some 30 years ago, which was labelled "The Golden Fiddle Orchestra" and contained a recording of the competitors of the Golden Fiddle award, playing together. It sounded like real fun and was, b.t.w. the first time I ever heard Hector the Hero. The conductor was James Moir.
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just revisited this lovely tune, this time in a slightly different transcription and played with a strict waltz rhythm on tenor guitar, rather than the somewhat wonky rubato of my 2011 version...

Transcription and chords from the Ottawa Ceili Band tunebook:

http://www.alfwarnock.info/ocb/waltz12.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like this version a lot, Martin. It's good to re-visit tunes from time to time - I'd forgotten I'd started this thread almost four years ago!
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just noticed that we already have a thread on this tune -- John and I have both just posted recordings in a new thread (link).

To keep our index working, here is mine -- played as a set with J. Scott Skinner's "Rosebud of Allenvale". Both tunes are at the Ottawa Ceili band link I posted in 2015.

Martin
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I had the second song of Martin's set recorded some time ago in an effort to become a decent background flatpicker on a steel-string guitar. Now, I'd just like to post a video at normal size. Thanks to all who tried to explain.

I had no succes. I put in /watch?v=N1JqpMtDqck, but there was just a gray rectangle
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi Christian,

It's only the 11-digit Code that you need, in your case "N1JqpMtDqck". This is what it looks like:

Martin
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and playing, Christian. Skinner is one of my favourite composers. Now I am looking forward to your version of John Mason's "Wild Rose of the Mountain".
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your wish is my command, John. I got up early, so I could record Wild Rose of the Mountain before the days activities start.

BTW: Your Soundcloud recording doesn't play anymore, good reason to do a little video.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great work, Christian, and speedy job too. Lovely playing and video. The slow tremolo you are playing in this one is almost like using a reverb or delay on your instrument; it is a very pleasant effect you are creating.

I have actually posted, back in April, a new version of the tune as I deleted my Soundcloud account several years ago. You in fact commented on the tune at the time, I think. Martin pointed out the earlier thread, but here, just for you, is the April version.

19. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    What a beautiful song. I missed this too. Now that John has shown me that I can, " tremelo" airs... Great versions here for me to learn from. Thanks!
  20. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Nice playing, all.