Festivals, Picking Parties, Jams, etc.

1. lefty mandoman
    lefty mandoman
    I was thinking it would be cool for us all to list the place we pick at. It would be neat to meet up at some these jams! So here we go....

My favorite bluegrass jam that I attend is at the Michigan Brewery in Webberville on Wednesdays from 7-10. It's always a good time and lots of good bluegrass...and they make some of the best beer around!
  2. Jimmy Kittle
    Jimmy Kittle
    Usually just at the festival, or at friends house. When I'm home in the winter I do go to Lansing. I only made it to the last one this year. There is a new jam that just started last week in West Michigan. Just west of 31 on M20. It's once a month I think. There were all kinds of musicians there last week. Not just bluegrass, there were also a lot of people, young and old that were just beginning that took to the stage. That was fun to watch too. I will post infor when I get the correct information.
  3. Bill Van Liere
    Bill Van Liere
    Well, not a pickin party, festival or a jam, but since I saw Webberville mentioned let me throw this out; I will be playing Hobbies in East Lansing this coming Wednesday the 29th. Yea, I know pretty shameless self promo, but the food is good and I'll do my best at making the music good.

Jonas Ridge from 6 to 8 PM

And I would like to meet some of you all.
  4. lefty mandoman
    lefty mandoman
    Hey Bill good luck at your gig! As much as i'd like to come out... i can't pass up on my Wednesday jam and the some of the greatest beer in Michigan!
  5. lefty mandoman
    lefty mandoman
    FYI for those Celtic fans: Connor O'Neills of Ann Arbor has a "session" (jam for us grassers), every Sunday evening from 7-10pm. I went last week to observe and had a lot of fun. There were roughly 10 people in the session, but it didn't seem to get too busy.

Anyone discover any others yet?
  6. Bill Van Liere
    Bill Van Liere
    There is an Irish session at the Black Rose in downtown Grand Rapids most every Sunday starting at 7:00 PM. Usually 2 or 3 fiddle players, a bunch of guitars, hammered dulcimer etc. for a total of 15 people. My wife Shelly goes, with her flute, every week that we are in town. I try to go once a month with my octave mandolin. Bruce Evans is present most weeks. A good time; lively Irish music.
  7. MWM
    MWM
    I frequent Zellies Opry House in Howard City. Open jams every Friday. The stage changes every 30 minutes and there are 5 rooms downstairs for jamming. Usually at least one bluegrass jam. Third Saturday of the month is a bluegrass show, jam or a combination. www.zelliesopryhouse.com

Mark
  8. Bruce Evans
    Bruce Evans
    I have to update Bill's previous note about sessions in GR. The Black Rose is closed. We moved the session a couple hundred yards up the street to McFaddens pub. Same people, same format, new location.