Paspie Menuet

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I have been working on a long and difficult O'Carolan piece and needed a distraction when I came upon this Flemish minuet. Maybe John could sing us a bit of "Will Ye Go Tae Flanders" to get us back to the Scottish side of things. Just to be different I played my often neglected Mandonator aka 4 string resonator mandolin with the usual cast of characters.

Here's abc's:

X: 2
    T: Paspie Minuet
    C: A.J.Vanpelt de Maastricht (1786-1824)
    N: "For the two cousins"
    N: Originally 3/2 meter
    B: Speelmansbock van Tongeren
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    K: G
    |: "G"GA Bc dB | GB "D"AA "G"G2 | "C"ef "G"gd cB | "A" AG AB "D"A2 |
    | "G"GA Bc d2 | "C"ef ga "G"gd | "C"ed/c/ "G"B2 "D"A2 | "G" G6 :|
    |: "G"g2 ga bg | "D"f2 fg af | "C"e2 ef ge | "(G)"e2 "G"d4 |
    | "Am"cB cd ec | "G"BG Bd gd | "C"ed/c/ "G"B2 "D"A2 | "G" G6 :|
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely, joyful tune and exquisitely played David.

-I feel really grateful to hear all of this pleasurable music on Song a Week, thanks, people!

(In French, just across the way, ‘Passe pied’ means foot pass, a movement in dance)
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's a very pleasant tune, David, and a great flowing arrangement. The concertina is particularly effective!

I've come across minuets in Flemish/Dutch folk music before (here and here), so it may be the case that the form has crossed over from courtly music into folk music and survived in this part of the world in a way that it hasn't elsewhere.

Having said that, I'm currently working on a Scottish minuet with a somewhat racy title -- should come up in the next few days!

Martin
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thats indeed a lovely recording, David.
    I recognised some sketches with directions of steps for the dancers. Thus I imagine you dancing with your instruments. Are you wearing such graceful garment as well?
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great sound and arrangement, David. A stately piece!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Majestic. Sends me coughing with wig powder. The pipe organ is an ideal accompaniment for this.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Pipe organ! That's it -- I thought the accompaniment was on concertina, but that didn't quite seem right from the sound. Yes, I agree, the pipe organ adds that touch which transforms the sound.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sound fine, especially the pipe organ!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yeh, yeh, David says he lives in a small house and now we hear that he has a pipe organ?

Two questions, David, what would you say, is a Cathedral small or is a Cathedral big?
    And are you originally from Texas?
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the sound you are hearing is not a real pipe organ per se. I am playing a Roland C-30 which they call a "Digital Harpsichord", it's about the size of a clavichord and has digitally sampled sounds from four different harpsichords, a forte piano and two small positive pipe-organs. In the digital age you don't need to be from Texas to sound large.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, but you've made it in life when people even think you might have a pipe organ.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    The batch of latest David M. Brown arrangement I am working on at the moment included his setting of this lovely Dutch minuet. So, I recorded it on my patio this afternoon.

Mid-Missouri M-0W (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David, an awesome piece, very addictive to listen to. Excellent synchronization. The only reason your music room is small is because it's full to the brim with musical instruments and of course that mini fireplace.
    Martin, I enjoyed this number as well and liked the springtime outdoors feeling that went along with it.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A lovely minuet and well played with your arsenal of instruments, Martin.
    Did you record all of them outside?
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny and Frithjof. Only the lead melody was recorded outside -- I did the overdubs indoors later in the day. I need to see the laptop screen for that and it's too bright outdoors (plus, it was getting cold by that time).

Martin
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice to see your patio, Martin! You do live in a very nice place.

Your revival of this thread also reminds me that this has been on my list since David's original posting. One day...