An Gille Brighde (The Oystercatcher)

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I got this lovely slow air, composed by Dr John Holliday of the Isle of Tiree, from my fiddle-playing pals recently and decided to have a go at it using an arrangement they gave me. Mandolin and octave sharing lead and harmony lines and guitar backing.

A big thanks too to Gail Hampshire who gave me her permission to include four of her amazing close-up photos of oystercatchers.

2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Wonderful slow air, played with your usual know how, John!
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A wonderful tune, John. I really like the melody and the way you used the mandolin and octave as leads and included some lovely harmony.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, I too especially like some of the colourful chords you’re using, well done John.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You are all very generous in your comments, folks. Thanks so much.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That is so lovely - lovely tune, lovely playing, and lovely sound from the instruments!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I once saw The Stranglers at an indoor concert hall in San Francisco. Now THAT was lovely!

-except that it was sitting only, in fact a guy there told me that if we stand up then we get thrown out.
    That was not lovely one bit.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Homely, waltzy, comforting. Just one more time before I play it one more time. Can't hurt to play it again...
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jill, Bertram, thanks for your positive comments. Very supportive indeed.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simply beautiful, John. Thanks for these peaceful minutes.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof. It is a very lovely composition and deserves a much wider hearing.
  12. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Anyone ever tell you that you play beautifully ? Not only that, but your inventory seems endlless. Beautiful!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Most generous of you, Frank. Thanks a lot for the very kind words.
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You know when they say "once more, with feeling?" It's impossible to play with more feeling than this. A recording to brighten up any day.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Dennis. I was playing it LIVE outdoors on Friday afternoon with a couple of my fiddle-playing regulars, thanks to the easing of restrictions in our part of the world, and it was just so good to get back to playing along with other folk again. We were sitting in a garden overlooking the Firth of Clyde, cloudless skies and birdsong in the trees. What more could a person want?