Best Videos/Books for Learning Improvisation

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    What videos/written materials have you found that you would recommend for learning to improvise? The only video I've watched is the one Henry posted in the "All of Me" thread. Books I have are Theory and Improvisation for the Modern Mandolinist by Tommy Norris (Mel Bay) and Scarpology by Steven Horn, that I bought at a music store years ago. Just started the Norris book, but got stuck when unable to access the accompanying backing tracks. Waiting for an email response from Mel Bay.
  2. NDO
    NDO
    Did you try Garage Band Theory yet? I haven’t finished it but I think it’ll give a good foundation. To me the key is ear training... just listening to the chord changes, predicting where it’s heading and filling in what I want to hear, building off the melody as a starting point. I don’t do it yet with the mandolin but I do it a LOT with the harmonica, and I’ll often sit in with friends who will pull out a new original tune and I can usually play an effective comp and solo without having heard it before.
  3. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Have you tried Pete Martin? He had a series of videos a while back. I watched a few, but I had other things I was working on. He is a member of the Cafe.
  4. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Don, I can't imagine ever finishing Garage Band Theory