What about this

1. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Ok i no that you all are in love with the Jam Model the way it is and i love it to but i would like to have it my way. I should have all the money for it by the end of the month but what do you all think of this?

Gibson Jam Master Model

1. Gibson decal changed to pearl
    2. Gibson flowerpot inlay
    3. 1 1/16 nut i like the smaller one
    4. black back binding

The last thing im having trouble with I want a extended fingerboard but i played a f5g and wasnt to fond of the clicking noise but idont know what to do what do you all think about this custom add ons and the extended fingerboard? I alreday have the quote and everything just waiting on the money
  2. stewartd
    stewartd
    Sounds like you want an F9.
  3. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    the only difference between the jam and a f9 is the smaller nut
  4. stewartd
    stewartd
    ...and the inlaid logo.
  5. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    i thought the F9 had the decal because of musicians friends
  6. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    huh your right i didnt know that
  7. 300win
    300win
    Shawn, I'm thinking you are just a youngster maybe ? You say you will have the $ to get one by the end of the month. I've noticed some more of your post and it sounds to me like you are having a very hard time making up your mind. If you are young as I gather you are by your picture, why not just get the JM as they come ? The pearl inlay and scooped freatboard extension is not going to matter one iota as far as playing, and the sound of the mandolin. You have read enough I think by now to get the idea that the Gibson Jam-Master models are great sounding mandolins, and a real bargain for the kind of excellant craftsmanship they have put into them. You've stated you don't like the pick noise which you will get with a un-scooped extension, so why pay extra money for one at all thats going to be scooped ? Not trying to be nosey are tell you what to do, the choice is yours, just trying to give you a little friendly advise from a guy who used to pick a mandolin for a living. I'd rather have a plain looking, dull, instrument that sounded like a million bucks then have one with all the bells and whistles that didn't. Case in point; the loudest, best toned, easiest playing guitar I've ever had in my hands was a old D-18 Martin that looked like it had been in the battle of Gettysburg. If I had that guitar lying in front of me beside a brand new Martin D-45 and someone told me I could have either one given to me, I would pick that old D-18 in a hearbeat.
  8. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Hey Shawn I agree with 300win, if tone is the key and the Jam Master sounds the way you want a mandolin to sound, then perhaps the Jam Master sounds the way it does because it does “Not” have the extras. If you think about it, it is all just wire and wood…putting more or less “Stuff” on it may affect the tone. And I am sure the F-9 has an inlaid “Gibson” logo, at least the older ones do, bunch of them on e-bay. Good luck.
    Brian
  9. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Well to tell you the truth i am as young as you think probably. I mean school starts tomorrow and ill be a sophomore and im a year younger then everyone one else. But other to say that my mind has changed alot over a year. I started saving a year ago first i had plans on a Weber Diamondback Distressed but then started not liking the distressed and then i saw the Weber Big Sky and iwas stuck on that until just a month ago when i went to Nashville.

Long story short i had not played enough to know what i like. So being as i have played about 50 to 100 high end mandolins i finally found one i like. I believe that if you find one that you like you should get what you want out of it because i kno it will be mine for quite a long time. I just thought maybe if you get everything you want a mandolin you wont want a another one in a year. The main thing iwasnt changed on the JM model is the wide nut. I have i guess kinda small hands but im about 6'3 its weird but you know.
  10. 300win
    300win
    Shawn, I too have kind of small hands, and love the wider fretboard along with the radius. I think both of those combined has helped aleviate some of the discomfort I have in my hands while playing, yea old codgers like me get bum joints as we go along. I can understand you wanting the mandolin to be the way you want it, I was just trying to give you some direction on the main thing with any instrument is first and foremost "the tone". Again one can be as fancy as it can get and be so sour sounding it ain't worth picking up. Hope you get one you like.
  11. 300win
    300win
    Bluegrassrules, you are correct. All F-9, A-9's, have Gibson inlayed on the headstock.
  12. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Yes there is only one mandolin that was fancied up that sounded better then the JM was the Doyle Lawson! But it has took me a while to get enough money i go out and mow a couple lawns for some extra money!
  13. 300win
    300win
    Well thats good Shawn, you are working to get what you want, That is to be commended. I really don't think you will go wrong getting the JM either the A or F model. I think Gibson is really putting the extra effort in these in order to get a big slice of the consumer who want a great sounding mandolin who maybe can't afford the higher priced ones.
  14. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Yes i think so to. I have to work to get what i want but that is ok thats how it should be.
  15. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    Shawn, I think I'd think really hard before changing it up too much. That said, it's your hard-earned money you'll be spending. Maybe get the narrower fretboard, if that's really an issue.

A couple of questions, Shawn: is that sophomore in high school, or college? Either way it's good to know somebody your age enjoys acoustic music. Also, were you in Nashville on the weekend of Independence Day? Just curious, because I was, and that's when I decided I really wanted a Jam Master, rather than settling for something like an Eastman or "The Loar". I played several at the Gibson Bluegrass Showcase that weekend, and totally fell in love. I placed my order from the Mandolin Store the day after I got back. I'm really enjoying my Jam Master, but I don't have enough time to play it as much as I'd like, or enough opportunities to jam with others.
  16. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    sophomore in high school lol and no it was just on a week day in the summer. I played all the Jam Models and the New F5G and loved them both. I no im young and all but ive done alot for my money and i want to get what i want.