Brando (a type of Italian Folk tune)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a Brando, a type of Italian tune from the group Tre Martelli.
    (Martin actually recorded this but I can’t find his entry on ‘Other tunes’ using Italian or Brando as the search words.)
    Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/9Rvo5q5HS50
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You really have a well working right hand wrist Simon, you play this nice Italian folk tune very relaxed,
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very catchy tune and flowing well in your playing, Simon.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha ha, thanks Christian and John, you should have seen the other vids!

They feature a jack hammer smashing the street up, midday bells (32 of them), a delivery truck backing up with men shouting bad things and two small vociferous dogs dragging on leads telling each other how good they were at fighting!
    Oh, and my reactions to it all.

I was still tense, but yes this was the reasonably relaxed vid!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nicely played, Simon. My old recording from 2010 is here -- a bit slower than yours, and not as positive on the pulse. If I get a chance, I'll look at it again as it's a really nice tune.

Martin
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin, and here’s some whistle if anyone’s interested.
    Brando Whistle TAB

(Use Mandolintab.net with the following, a then join either SAW or the Newbies tune a month group here on MandolinCafe, search under social groups )
    X:1
    T:Brando
    C:Tre Martelli: Omi E Paiz 1a
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:G
    DEF|GFG BAG| F2A ABc| ABc edc|B2G DEF|\
    GFG BAG| F2A ABc| ded cBA |1 G3:|2 G3 G3||
    |:dBG D2D|ecA E2E|EFG ABc|def ~e2d|\
    dBG D2D|ecA E2E|ABc ded|cBA G3:|
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great swing, Simon, and we get to see your smiling face! Like the tempo a lot, it's got a nice, jaunty feel to it.

Was it uncomfortable sitting and playing? Can't say I've ever seen you do that.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bruce it’s the first time I’ve half sat on a pillow. Right foot on a chair and the other is available, on the floor, in case I get the urge to start foot tapping. Though I think it’s better the other way round, using the right foot to tap.

If you notice in the first B part I didn’t really have it together, for that reason (I wanted to come in stomping!) I find the position really comfortable since I’m reasonably free to sort of dance but still have relief from hours of practice standing, or half standing up.

I’ve just checked the band Tre Martelli and they play it even a fraction faster, a late evening version I guess. For some reason it sounds a LOT faster. It maybe because they speed up on the easier phrases(!) and have faster instruments

Here’s their version, though I think the second tune sounds a bit egocentric! https://youtu.be/ojZUQ3QxfCg

I actually prefer it with regular phrasing and try to keep an image of people dancing while playing it- if I can still remember what that looks like...
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nicely played, Simon.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay thanks Ginny.
    There’s more. I’ve been practicing but till now, blocked on recording (this particular pre-recorded metronome click track is a bit fast for me so I had to wait till I had practiced up to that tempo- lots of errors and not much progress, but ok now)
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I like the pulse/shuffle to your playing on this tune, Simon. Really drives it.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, it really does. Excellent rhythm!