Jack’s Maggot

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another tune originally from Playford.

This rough version is as good as it gets out there in the woods!
    I popped a B (relative minor of the key, D major) drone in there later on.

https://youtu.be/BM-3f7p1r6k

X:1
    T:Jack's Maggot
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    B:The Round Band Book of Playford
    K:D
    P:A
    dc | "D"d2D2 F2A2 | "G"BABc "A"d2e2 | \
    "D"fga2 "G"Bcd2 | "Em"e3f "A7"e2c2 | \
    "D"d2D2 F2A2 | "G"Bcd2 "A"c2ag | \
    "D"f2d2 "A7"e2c2 | "D"d4- d2 :|
    P:B
    |: fg | "D"a2 f4 a2 | "Bm"f2 d4 ef | \
    "Em"gfed c2 d2 | "A7"e6 fg | \
    "D"a2f2 d2 f2 | "D"A2d2 F2A2 | \
    "G"d3e "A7"e3d | "D"d6 :|
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There is Johnny Appleseed again, picking his fill after planting another 100 trees that day
    The drone is more distinct this time - and if those are motorbikes, they must be a full well-tuned Hell's Angels Club in the distance - demonstrating how powerful even the slightest of harmony can be for enhancing a tune.
    The stomp is intriguing - resonator forest floor or after effects overdub?
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram yes the foot stomp is all authentic, nothing added.
    Just two drone tracks, D and B and then the microphone in the woods just behind that log over there that someone has carelessly discarded.

Actually, to tune my stomp pad I had to remove some of the higher pitched, crunchy leaves in order to reveal the top quality bare, spongy, forest turf. The earth was a bit damper than I prefer which did affect tone somewhat. But that’s ok.

The main regret I have was that in all the time I was there I didn’t get a good ambient track recorded. So some of the recordings have lumpy bits at the beginning and ends.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like this video all around, Simon.

The main regret I have…

As much as I understand your high demands on your own playing there is no reason to play perfect out in nature. With no overdubs and other corrections.
    Nature itself is perfect with/because of all its imperfection, isn’t it? Look out in the landscape or on a well grown tree…
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, Simon is very strict on himself. No need. Great videos!