Ade zur guten Nacht

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I thought I had played this tune in the Let's play ourselves to sleep thread, but couldn't find it, so I will put both versions into a new thread.
    Two years ago, I worked on my tremolo. The result sounds like a ninnananna :

In the version I recorded today, I practise the reststroke and the third position. That comes closer to a Schlaflied:

I've still got to practicse the higher positions, but the exercises in those method books are just a sequence of 16th notes.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two lovely versions, Christian. I looked up the meaning of "Schlaflied" and found it to mean "lullaby". I agree with you that the second one is much more in the lullaby vein, and your higher octave playing reminds me of a music box with the little figure spinning round on top of it. Very pleasant listening.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Artfully crafted versions, both of them CC. Your playing is really refined, and it’s a lovely tune.

It’s interesting, this tune, to me at least, sounds German. I was trying to work out what it is in the melody that gives me that impression.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Christian -- I also especially like the second version, it seems more relaxing with less tremolo.

This is another one I also recorded almost exactly ten years ago, in May 2011. Solo melody on the Mid-Mo, quite a bit faster than yours:

The lyrics are:

Ade zur guten Nacht!
    Jetzt wird der Schluß gemacht,
    Daß ich muß scheiden.
    Im Sommer da wächst der Klee,
    Im Winter, da schneit´s den Schnee,
    Da komm ich wieder

Es trauern Berg und Tal,
    Wo ich viel tausendmal
    Bin drüber gangen;
    Das hat deine Schönheit gemacht,
    die hat mich zum Lieben gebracht
    mit großem Verlangen.

Das Brünnlein rinnt und rauscht
    Wohl dort am Holderstrauch,
    Wo wir gesessen,
    Wie manchen Glockenschlag,
    da Herz bei Herzen lag,
    das hast du vergessen.

Die Mädchen in der Welt
    Sind falscher als das Geld
    Mit ihrem Lieben.
    Adé zur guten Nacht,
    jetzt wird der Schluß gemacht,
    daß ich muß scheiden

Although it's usually sung as a lullaby, that's not really what the words are about at all. The title translates as "Adieu and good night", and it's a bitter-sweet parting song, the singer saying to his lover that we've had good times but it's over now, so have a good life. The final verse is:

"The girls in the world / Are more false than the money / With their loving. / Adieu and good night / Now the decision is made / That I must leave here.".

NB: "Schluss" can mean either "end" or "decision" (an obsolete shortening of "Beschluss") -- in this case either will fit the meaning with suitable finality.

Martin

PS: For a version with vocals, here is Hannes Wader: Link