Lyin' Eyes

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Don, just thought I'd start a new thread for an old topic. I absolutely love "Lyin' Eyes," and can't get it out of my head since you posted your video. I printed the sheet music this week. It's a fairly challenging rhythm. D is my best singing key, so I have that dratted barre A chord to deal with.

Is anyone else working on this?
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    It's a really good song. I'm rolling it around in my head. Does that count? Lotta chords to learn.
    The Eagles song I really want to learn, though, is "Already Gone" from the On The Border album. This was the first album I had as a teenager, and I still love it!
    Do you have that one, Don?
  3. NDO
    NDO
    The strum pattern broke my brain for a day but then it became really natural and fits a lot of other songs. I’m afraid I can’t offer too much help switching from key of G to D though... I’m too lazy to transpose it all by brain and I haven’t got an app for doing it yet.

I did give a quick run through the first few parts though assuming it’s (intro D-Dmaj7-G-Em-A-D) (verse D-Dmaj7-G, Em-A, D-Dmaj7-G, Em-G-D) lwhich sounded about right. The good news is I think the two finger A 2-2-0-0 sounds better in this context than 2-2-4-5, at least to my ears
    The bad news is you really ought to drop an A7 in there for the verse, I thought 2-2-4-0 sounded pretty good.
  4. NDO
    NDO
    Hmmm I think so Sue, I know my band sings it sometimes and it’s super simple. I like singing the harmony parts while my guitar player sings, but I don’t think we’ve done it since I started playing mando.
  5. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Super simple sounds good to me, and I sang along with the record so much as a kid that I bet I still know 90% or more of the lyrics.

I found this you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GpqZ_molhw
  6. NDO
    NDO
    That works! I was able to play right along with the lesson on the first try. Hmm I think I’ll throw that in the set list for the gig tonight, the whole band will be there so I can sing harmony...
  7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    That's a great song, Sue!

Don, I am so envious of you playing in a band!
  8. NDO
    NDO
    It’s totally a bucket list fulfillment for me! Never dreamed it would happen but it’s been almost five years now and people really seem to like us, lots of repeat customers and some folks who follow us from gig to gig. We have four gigs in three weekends right now. It probably would have never happened if I hadn’t taken this job away from home, so it’s been one of the highlights of this adventure.
  9. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Your last statement has aroused my curiosity.
  10. NDO
    NDO
    I just meant I didn’t have exposure to much live music scene back at home, and certainly wouldn’t have had time to pursue as much playing while staying at home with daily family obligations. I’m “on the road” working and making periodic home visits, so while I’m away my (limited) free time off work is totally up to my discretion.
  11. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Gotcha. Where is home and what is your profession? It won't hurt my feelings if you'd rather not say.
  12. NDO
    NDO
    No worries! Home is eastern Washington (Tri-Cities), I’m currently in Carlsbad NM at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant which is a combination of a salt mine and a nuclear waste disposal facility. I literally came down as a two-week favor for a friend and now six years later I’m the operations manager.
    Best job I’ve ever had
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    It's great to have work you love - and play mandolin!!
  14. NDO
    NDO
    Amen! But I can’t wait to retire and drive Julie crazy with my music
  15. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Carlsbad, huh? I wondered where you work in the Land of Enchantment. You'll be wanting to spend as much time as possible underground for the next few months. Has it broken 100° yet?

Were you at WIPP for the infamous kitty-litter incident or was that before your stint there? (For those unfamiliar with the story.)