Week #548 ~ Go and 'List for a Sailor

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am SO sorry I'm so late in posting this poll's winner!

The winner for this week is Go and 'List for a Sailor, which was submitted as and English Morris Dance.

I found this on thesession.org, that says it's also known as Enlist for a Sailor, A Very Unfortunate Tailor, Go Enlist For A Sailor, I’ll Go And ‘List For A Sailor, I’ll Go And Enlist For A Sailor, List For Soldier, The Very Unfortunate Tailor. This site says it's a polka.

This is from tunesearch.org

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    So there are two tunes?
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Since I’m currently in vacation my main task is to hike the Austrian Alps.
    Fortunately, I found a little spare time on a nice afternoon and surprisingly a mandolin in my luggage.

I wanted to play outside but couldn’t find a place with no wind. The tiny cat on my travel micro couldn’t eat all the wind noise. I used the noise-reduction of Audacity but with minor success. Sorry – don’t wear headphones, please!

I tried a small bell strap on my shoe for a little morris dance feeling. That was funny (but not ever in sync).

4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played and nice dancing Frithjof! Love this version, good to see you having fun with it!
    (I had thought that the we furrie beastie was a Marmot!)
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I WANT to be there! Beautifully played and love the ambiance.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Simon and Frank!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    My headphones have finally packed in, voila, my excuse.
    Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Hc4p2xyZRsM

(49 degrees F tonight. My cat has just shed her winter coat -she’s freezing! I feel for you guys where it’s so hot)
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great rendition with a lot of fun, Simon. I enjoyed the moment you went to the lower strings.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I really liked the June Tabor version of this tune as well as Frithjof's and Simon's, here's my quick take on the tune.

UPDATE: My intonation on the original bass part was poor, so I have rerecorded the bass part and remixed things so you can hear the mandolin, hopefully. Even if you set the mandolin & concertina at the same level, the concertina is alway much louder.

10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    All are interesting and entertaining renditions.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Lots of great renditions here for a quick start to the week! David's full band arrangement is wonderfully atmospheric with that drone, percussion and concertina. Frithjof in the alps with a nice fluid rendition, and Simon dropping octaves and hitting the speed button -- all great fun!

Here's one I did last year, using Evelyn's arrangement which we also play with our band. Same tune variant as Frithjof plays, and much the same tempo.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    The more I hear this one, the better I like it. Nice playing as always, Martin.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two days absense from SAW and already four videos. WOW!
    I like them all and will try to record something equally fine.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice ones David and Martin, come on in CC, the water’s fine!!!

I just replaced my posting with the same vid! Somehow there was distortion in it which must have occurred during the YouTube uploading process.

Two days ago I sent Google a bad letter because they’ve allowed someone to claim copyright on one of ‘my’ trad tunes. The ‘someone’ is them!
    Maybe this is the techie’s response...
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, David and Martin, for your fine recordings. David toped it with his humorous slide show.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Like Christian, I have had a couple of days away from the computer too as I had family visiting. Interesting versions of this tune from all entries.
    David, your double bass with the drums in front of it is so like a little motor car just ready to whisk you off to your next appearance! Gave me a lot of fun watching this video.
  17. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I wondered if there were "wheels" on the other side as well!
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This TAB’s in A dorian, just one string shift from E dorian...
    And there’s the thirds ‘harmonisation’.
    Enjoy!

X:1
    T:Go and 'List for a Sailor (tonic,octave,thirds)
    R: polka
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Ador
    e2|:a,2 a,b, | cb, cd | e2 a2 | e2 ef | g2 g2 | g2 b,c | de db, | g,2 b,2|
    a,2 a,b, | cb, cd | e2 a2 | e2 ef | g2 b,2 | d2 cb, | a,4 |1 a,2 e2 :|2 a,2 e2 ||
    |:a2 a2 | a2 ba | g2 e2 | e2 f2 | g2 g2 | g2 b,c | de db, | g,2 b,2| a,2 a,b, |
    cb, cd | e2 a2 | e2 ef | g2 b,2 | d2 cb, | a,4 |1 a,2 e2 :|2 a,2 e2 ||
    g,2|
    T:OCTAVE
    E2|:A,2 A,B, | CB, CD | E2 A2 | E2 EF | G2 G2 | G2 B,C | DE DB, | G,2 B,2|
    A,2 A,B, | CB, CD | E2 A2 | E2 EF | G2 B,2 | D2 CB, | A,4 |1 A,2 E2 :|2 A,2 E2 ||
    |:A2 A2 | A2 BA | G2 E2 | E2 F2 | G2 G2 | G2 B,C | DE DB, | G,2 B,2| A,2 A,B, |
    CB, CD | E2 A2 | E2 EF | G2 B,2 | D2 CB, | A,4 |1 A,2 E2 :|2 A,2 E2 ||
    G,2|
    T:THIRDS
    G,2|:C2 CD | ED EF | G2 c2 | G2 GA | B2 B2 | B2 DE | FG FD | B,2 D2|
    C2 CD | ED EF | G2 c2 | G2 GA | B2 D2 | F2 ED | C4 |1 C2 G,2 :|2 C2 G2 ||
    |:c2 c2 | c2 dc | B2 G2 | G2 A2 | B2 B2 | B2 DE | FG FD | B,2 D2| C2 CD |
    ED EF | G2 c2 | G2 GA | B2 D2 | F2 ED | C4 |1 C2 G2 :|2 C2 G,2 ||
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I must admit, I tinkered a bit with this morris dance. I transposed it from e minor to d minor and replaced the dorian scale by including a leading tone and the dominant 7 chord that goes with it in the second part.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice!
    I like this a lot, sounds nostalgic, intimate and authentic!
    And good sound with the separate channels too.

-this tune is now called, ‘Go and ‘list for an Italian sailor’.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I do agree with the “…Italian sailor”.
    Well played with your great playing technic, Christian.
  22. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Nice, Christian. I especially admire your - and others' - ability to change the music to better suit you.
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    While istening to all the other excellent versions of this tune, I just had to give it a try. It's played on my trusty Kentucky KM600 mandolin and backed up with a Simon & Patrick dreadnought guitar. The tuning for the guitar is: DADGBD. (When capoed at the 2nd fret it plays a very pleasant E modal drone kind of sound.) This is my first video in a while. The images are from the U.S Library of Congress.

24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great! A Stuche video from the first tone to the last image. Thanks, Michael!
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Michael, great to see you posting again in the SAW group. Interesting comparisons between your and Christian's versions. You both make a simple tune very listenable with your arrangements.
  26. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well done Michael, it's good to hear your playing again.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice Michael, I really like those articulations and triplets. Interesting too, seeing the archive photos.
  28. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hey Michael. Good to have you back being as entertaining and skilled as always !
  29. phb256
    phb256

I know next to nothing about sailing and it shows. Anything I do know comes from watching Monty Python as a child.
  30. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    It is said "variety is the spice of life." This is a spicy thread, considering the different versions/instruments. Keep 'em comin'.
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice contribution, Paul.
  32. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Such great versions by all here ! We are a lucky group. So nice to see you posting again Michael, always a SAW staple, you push me to be better.
  33. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice version Paul, good to hear all of us posting and with such a diverse set of fifth tuned instruments.