F style for a newbie?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Make sure the seller is willing to accept your preferred method of payment. Good luck!
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Don't wait too long before reaching out.
  3. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    It already sold, oh well! That was quick!
  4. NDO
    NDO
    Figured it would go quick.
  5. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I just bought an Octofone last week. I saw it a few minutes after it was posted, and emailed right away, almost without thinking. The price looked good, and I figured I could think later. Well, the guy later told me he had ... his words ... an "overwhelming response". This is not uncommon these days. Not that you want to be a tire kicker, but if it at all looks like something you'd seriously be interested in, I think you have to pretty much reach out immediately if not sooner.
  6. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    You could also put up a "Wanted" ad. Anyone ever do that for an instrument? I did it for a book, and got the book I wanted for a good price.
  7. NDO
    NDO
    When I bought the BRW I jumped on it immediately. The seller turned down an offer of substantially more money (like 800 more) than our deal from someone who wanted to bump me out of the deal. Glad the seller was such a stand up guy. Super cool dude.
  8. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Wow, one of those "money will buy me anything I want" guys. My husband's Grandma would have called him "the east end of a horse going crosslots."
    Glad the seller was a man of integrity. I had something like that happen years ago on a drum set for my son. The seller was pretty young, though, and I chastised him into doing the right thing.
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Hmmm, the ad has been taken down. What could that mean?
  10. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    Thought I'd update you all on where I'm at. I've emailed some with Banjo Ben Clark, TMS, and Quinn Violins (in my home state of MN). I saw BBC had a 515V available so I emailed them on a Sat, heard back about it on a Mon and by then it had sold already. Jake from BBC though said he really liked that model and even kept it and sold his more expensive other mando (maybe a Pava? Can't remember) since he liked it so much. But then I emailed TMS and asked them about which model they preferred and Dennis said he actually didn't like the V models, because of the distressed finish, but that the CC model is just as good and also sells better. Quinn was probably the least helpful, as they just said check Eastman's website for specs and that their luthier looks over instruments before they go out on the floor. So I'm not sure which model to go with. TMS has both the original and the CC models in stock, but I'm still thinking about the V too.
  11. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    Here's my pros/cons on each so far:

515: bound fingerboard (+), armrest and tone-gard (if I go that route) shouldn't scratch finish (+), neck might get sticky if playing fast due to finish (-)

CC: neck sounds similar to speed neck on V model (+), more comfortable to play/hold so may not need/want an armrest (+), antique-ish finish (+) Would this finish be damaged by a tone-gard or armrest?

Varnish: Pros and cons are pretty similar to the CC model but I think this finish would definitely need more care since its more thin.

What do you guys think? I think I'd like to purchase from BBC too as they definitely provided the best customer service in my opinion. But I would also not want to wait until who-knows-when for models to come back in stock. I know TMS gets rave reviews on here but I didn't find them super helpful. I expected a little more from them I guess in terms of feedback and advice, especially since they're the main go-to.
  12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Eastman mandolins are pretty consistent in their sound and construction. I would not pay extra for the V (varnish) on this level of mandolin. The "CC" looks to me like a marketing term meaning "no binding, so we rounded the edge a little" - if your arm feels abused when you play without an armrest, I doubt if "CC" would help much, except maybe psychologically. Because of their consistent sound and construction, I would say choose on the basis of looks and price.

A person with a very sharp ear and very good technical skills might be able to discern a difference in playability and sound among these options on an Eastman. But a beginner needs to start somewhere in order to develop those skills and tastes and there isn't much way to predict which way those skills and tastes will develop. So go with a good instrument like you have chosen. It will last you while you develop. Then you won't have to rely on what other people's tastes and preferences are -- you will have your own. And you might very well say, "man, I am glad I started with an Eastman because I still love this thing" because your tastes evolved around that instrument. They are that good.
  13. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    Thanks Hank, I appreciate your thoughts, they really help! Last night I was even looking at an 805! I like the Fs but I like the As too, plus I figured I could go up 2 levels for the same price as a lower level F. I'm gonna email the local violin shop today too and see what they have available, since I think it will be easier to go back to them too if down the road I need anything done.
  14. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Just to add to your confusion, MartieChick, a few Silverangels have shown up recently in the classifieds, both As and Fs, quite reasonably priced for handbuilt instruments. (Not sure what your current budget is.) They have a darker sound than many other mandolins. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the one I have had a chance to play.
  15. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    Hi Louise! I know! I saw them too and the cafe has great reviews of them. Here's what I've been thinking: BBC had both the 505 and the 515 in stock now (just popped up this afternoon) and I think I'm gonna go with the 505 and see how I like it. Then, maybe a little further down the road, once I've got some practice and chops under my belt, I'll revisit the As (and Fs) again to see if I'm ready for an upgrade. Right now I would really not like to spend over 1K (and the 505 is a little below that), but maybe in the future, I can consider upgrading to a nicer mando and look more seriously at SAs or something similar. I might even stick with the A style! (We'll see, haha!)
  16. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    That sounds like an excellent plan. Do it before they're all gone again!
  17. bbcee
    bbcee
    Hey Martichick, as someone who's been in your shoes (and perhaps shares a tendency to overthink I'll weigh in to say that much like Henry has already, whether you go with an Eastman, Kentucky or Loar, pull the trigger. You're only going to learn so much poring over specs on the Internet, you need to start playing in order to get the basics down & develop your technique. Armrests, speed necks and the like can (& should) wait.

All three of these models are decent, consistent, and have a sound that will remind you of a mandolin. Get one set up by the shop you buy from to avoid frustration. The other stuff comes as your ear develops and you play other mandos in stores, jams, festivals and roadtrips. Stick to your budget, get a decent first-level mando, and start playing with us here!
  18. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    What Henry and bbcee said. And what Louise said.
    Order one already
  19. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    I have a 505 and I like it. The 505 can play a LOT better than I can! At the rate I am going, I will probably stay with the 505 from now on.
  20. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Playing (or practicing -- still learning how to play!) yesterday, I thought I broke an E-string. Turned out the little peg that holds the loop on the tailpiece had broken off. Who would have thunk!? Anyway, I called the Mandolin Store and talked to James. The Eastman comes with a life time guarantee, and James said he would contact his supplier for a replacement tailpiece. I should have it next week or early the following week. What GREAT customer service! It was time to change strings anyway .
  21. NDO
    NDO
    See, this is why everyone needs at least two mandolins… gotta have one to play while fixing the other
  22. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Actually, Don, that's the reason you need two of each kind
  23. NDO
    NDO
    Genius!
  24. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    Okay y'all let me tell you about my experience at Quinn Violins (Fret Central) in Minneapolis. I had to make an appointment to go which at first I thought was kinda dumb since covid here is not that bad right now and we're at the 70% vaccinated rate already. But, when I got there, I figured out why. You make an appointment to be able to have some time by yourself with the instruments so you can try them out and see what you like without others in your space. So that made sense. They also have a bunch of littler rooms, like the one I was in was just for mandolins and ukuleles. There was another for guitars and another for bowed instruments, one with accessories, and another for checking out. Anyways I tried a couple out, a 505, a couple 515s, a 504, a 615 and at least one 515V. And you know what? I really wanted to like the 515s, but when I had each model in my hands and playing what few chords I know and one little scale, I couldn't really figure out the balance. I didn't really like the weightiness of it and it was harder to hold and play for me. BUT, I tried out the 505 and it was awesome! I would try a couple 515s and still come back to the 505. Soooo guess who picked up a 505 yesterday?! This girl! I also got a couple different picks to try out (on the house from the owner, super nice guy), a humidifier thing you fill with distilled water to go in the case in the winter ($20) and a shirt (also free) so the service was great! Now I just have to look for a strap and lessons. I've emailed a few people from the classifieds on here about lessons and there's one guy that's reasonable that I think I'll go with for awhile. Not sure about online lessons yet even though they're so. much. cheaper. than zoom lessons. What do you guys recommend?
  25. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    By the way here's a pic of my new 505!

26. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    Okay no pic in the last post... I have a photo on my phone and it's saved on there but how do I turn that into a URL?
  27. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    What, no scroll?
    So happy you found something you like! I guess it falls under you never know whats gonna speak to you. Can't wait to see and hear it!

Here's the link on how to do images and videos.
  28. MartieChick09
    MartieChick09
    I'm on my kindle and I thought I made an album, but maybe not, so I'll check again later on the computer, but check out my avatar and there's my 505!
  29. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Good for you, MartieChick! I hope you like your 505 as much as I like mine. Good luck with finding your first lessons.
  30. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations Jayme! That’s so cool. I wish I could have played multiple instruments when buying my first upgrade. I love my 605 but always wonder if there was a better one on the wall! And I am a huge fan of Eastman “A” style mandolins so enjoy your new obsession!
  31. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    So glad you settled on one, and I'm thrilled to hear the service was so great at Quinn. People who own music stores are some of the greatest folks around.
  32. bbcee
    bbcee
    Congrats Martichick, sounds like you had a great store experience. Also sounds like those 505s are quite surprising.

You’ll get a lot of help from this group on your journey (not just with MAS!),so ask anything, and welcome once again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12