A Place in the Heart

1. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I couldn't find a thread on this tune. So if ti exists, please link to it. Many of you are probably familiar with this tune form the playing of our site owner as well as Butch Baldassari. One of my all time favorite mandolin tunes! Played here on the mandola:

2. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Beautiful tune very well played! Is there any tab or music for it somewhere?
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's beautiful, and I hadn't heard it before. I need to look up those recordings you mentioned.
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    @Marcelyn, check the mp3 here in the Cafe home page, Beeeeeautiful!
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    mp3 #279, played by Scott.
  7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Quite nice and holiday-invoking in spirit with the Christmas Tree in the background. Merry Christmas!
  8. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Thanks for the kind words. It's definitely a tune worth learning!
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    That's a beauty Shaun. Merry Christmas.
  10. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    ABC file

X:1
    T:A Place in the Heart
    C:Butch Baldassari - Arr. Linda Riha
    L:1/8
    Q:190
    M:3/4
    K:D
    z4 AG |: "D"F3A, FE | "G"D3E FG | "Asus"A2 d2 cd | "Bm"d4 ze/f/ | "G"gf dA E/4F/4E/D | \
    D4 zB/c/ | "D"dc BA E/4F/4E/D | "A"A,4 AG | "D"F3A, FE | "G"D3E "A"FG | A2 d2 cd | \
    "D"d4 zE/F/ | "G"GA B,3G | "Asus"F/4G/4F3/2 E2 DC | "D"D/D/D/D/ D/D/D/D/ D/D/D/D/ | \
    |1 D4 A,A :|2 D4 Ae | "Bm"d4 Af | "A"e3A ef | "D"gf fe ed | "G"B4 Bc | "Bm"dc "A"cB "D"BA | \
    "G"A4 FA | "Em"GF FE ED | "Asus"A,4 AG | "Bm"F3A, FE | "G"D3E FG | "A"A2 d2 cd | \
    "Bm"d4 zE/F/ | "G"GA B,3G | (3FGF E2 DC | "D"D/D/D/D/ D/D/D/D/ D/D/D/D/ :| D2 z2 z2 | \
    z6 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice sgarrity. Beautiful tune.
    More homework for me now.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    What a great tune Shaun, and nice playing as well. I somehow missed this one the 1st time around but I had to give it a try so here it is on my Sobell mandolin.

13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Finally did my homework - kind of.

Shaun, thanks so much for pointing me towards this hauntingly beautiful tune. I could play it all day long.
    Now I want to learn the more intricate version as transcribed by John McGann.

14. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    David, I missed your version the first time around. I really enjoyed it against the guitar back up.

Mannfred......great work. That sounds mighty fine!
  15. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Manfred - I believe you are right on the mark when you described this as an “unbelievably beautiful tune.” Your rendition is very easy on the ears. As I watch your video I can see that you put your “heart” into this one.

Thank you Shaun, David, and Manfred for sharing.
  16. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Manfred.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is another tune that I have never quite managed to get the timing right when playing it as a solo piece -- I have now recorded it with a tenor guitar rhythm track, and the timing falls into place!

This is the "simplified" Linda Riha transcription rather than the detailed John McGann one. Played on the Ajr.

Also played in memory of Butch Baldassari, and with apologies to him, to Scott Tichenor and to Bill Crahan for my hack efforts at their fine tune!

Martin
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Maybe Luurtie will post his wonderful version here.

19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Another beautiful offering from luurtie. Well done. And thanks David for pointing the way.
  20. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That's funny, I couldn't find a thread for this tune... Thanks David! You did very well with your version in 2011. My compliments to the other mandolinplayers in this thread and thanks Michael for the compliments!
  21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here it is Ginny!!!

22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautiful playing Ginny, love the images too. Another tune well done.
    Hope you hands are better now and over with the vertigo, take care, Simon
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Oh thanks David. I knew it had to be somewhere but was in a hurry to get going and didn't find the right place for it. Simon, the hand still act up and the vertigo comes and goes. I think I'm falling apart piece by piece.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A vacation day in the Austrian Alps when endless rain made impossible all our hiking plans.
    Fortunatly a mandolin was on hand to save the day.

https://youtu.be/6sAYch_1HlA

(Arrangement by Scott Tichenor)
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to hear this fine tune getting another airing, Frithjof. Your version here is really enjoyable with just the solo mandolin and some chordal and double stop phrasing.
  26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice Frithjof -- good way to spend a rainy day. Have we seen that F-style mandolin before? Sounds good!

Thanks also for reminding us of this lovely tune. I'd forgotten all about it. Need to get it out again. Back when I recorded mine, I tried but didn't get to grips with Scott's version so I used a slightly simplified one. Your chordal passages sound fine, though, and it does enhance the tune.

Martin
  27. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A beautiful chord-melody arrangement, Frithjof!
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Many thanks, John, Martin and Christian.

The Eastman 815v is such a great mandolin. It's easy to play and its intonation on the high end is much better than on my other mandolin.
    I used them both for Tantz 1.62 recently.
  29. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Wow, I didn't know this version in chord melody... I'll take it with me!
  30. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Lovely, Frithjof. And I'm very envious of your holiday location, despite the rain.
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Jairo and Richard.

The Alps are a great hiking area. Fortunately, we had only two days of heavy endless rain. No flooding or mudflows in this valley.

Resulting problem: our days were hiking, recovery, planning the next hike. Mandolin playing for recreation, of course. Almost no time to comment ongoing SAW activities. Hope to catch up the next days.