Another Swedish tune - Schottis från Idre

1. Susanne
    Susanne
    Haha, I don't seem able to stop today.... good for you that I'm going to the accordion festival tomorrow (if the weather is ok) .

This is a fiddle tune from Dalarna where I come from. The best fiddle music comes from Dalarna (local patriot? meeee??? )

2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Has similarities to a tune in the U.S. called Rochester Schottishe aka The Cat Clumb Up the Plum Tree at least in the A part.

I think you should go for the gusto, Susi, and 'torture' us some more of your Swedish music!
  3. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Another good one. Keep them coming please!
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my version. Played on my Weber octar.

5. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Sounds great! This one is on my list to learn but I'm having trouble getting to it.
  6. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Sounds great Susi! David it sounds awesome on that octar!
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Very pretty tune. I'm still working on it....
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Not up to your standard Dave but at least I managed it in one take..

9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Eddie that was great and in one take I'm impressed. All of my first takes are definitely x rated for language. Nice new avatar too, not exactly kindling though?
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm waiting for it to arrive Dave... probably bullet and fire proof... finally, something that will outlast me... I'm practicing "Autumn Leaves"
  11. Susanne
    Susanne
    Dave and Eddy: awesome work!!!! You really sound good. Very fast for a schottis and the typical schottis rhythm isn't there but hey, it sounds great!!!!!
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    I copied Dave's because I could see his fingers. I don't have the music for it so I played by ear and watching Dave's fingers. You hold your mando at an angle. Now that I have the basic tune I will try to emulate your rhythm. Thank you so much Susi for sharing your music. You really are a Dalarna patriot...
  13. Susanne
    Susanne
    I'm indeed a Dalarna patriot... at least when it comes to traditional fiddle music Great that you found sheet music, David. It is a quite common tune. There is another schottis from the same place that is more minor.. that's my next project, as well as playing this one on the fiddle. I'm into a really bad period with the mandolin right now so I'm going to play the fiddle for a while.
  14. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Susi,

Please share your fiddle version...I am equally inept on both instruments . I like the tune and will try to post a video if I can get it a little cleaner.

Joe
  15. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here is my version of this tune:

I've heard, and danced to, this tune at local contra dances. I'm not sure why, but schottisches and hambos, danced to Scandinavian tunes, are popular amongst contra dancers. (Also Norwegian polkas, usually done to an Irish polka.)
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great tune... all ya'll! I've not yet played a schottische.... but I'm familiar with how they sound, having grown up in Texas, where a schottishe is usually played after "cotton eyed joe" at country dances. I really like the minor part of this tune. Eddie, I love the cool shades & visual effect of the California sun through your patio cover....
  17. Susanne
    Susanne
    Celtic dude, that was awesome!! So cool the tune from that little place in the Swedish outback is gaining popularity over there...
  18. etteM
    etteM
    does schottis mean that its from skåne? ah nice tune, and to think that i almost gave up on you meatballs after 20 years of that ABBA- torture
  19. Susanne
    Susanne
    No, schottis (or schottische as I think it should be in English) is a dance.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You can read about Schottische here on wikipedia.
  21. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    I'm still catching up on my video uploads. Here's my attempt at this tune. I keep wanting to speed up when I play it. Maybe it's time to dust off the old metronome.

22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Sounds great Keith, I had the same problem with the tempo. It wants to go faster.
  23. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Thanks David.
  24. Susanne
    Susanne
    Great job, Keith!! Why not try to dance schottische while playing to keep the tempo I think this is nice tempo on a schottische though. I like some tempo in them. Schottische is the only dance that I still enjoy dancing actually, it's just bad for my knees
  25. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Ha, I'm not much of a dancer. It might help if I was playing for other people to dance. Then they could yell at me if I sped up
  26. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Schottis fr{\aa}n Idre
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:2/2
    K:D
    D2FA d2d2 | FAde f2f2 | gfed c2Bc | d2AG FED2 | D2FA d2d2 | FAde f2f2 | gfed c2Bc | \
    d2dc d4 |: a2a2 g2eg | =f2ed e4 | =f2ag f2ed | cded c2A2 | a2a2 g2eg | =f2ed e4 | \
    =f2ag f2ed | cdec d4 :|: "variant"D2F3/2A/ d2d2 | D2F3/2A/ d3/2e/d3/2c/ | e3/2f/e3/2c/ A2B3/2c/ | \
    d2c3/2B/ A3/2G/F3/2E/ | D2F3/2A/ d2d2 | D2F3/2A/ d3/2e/d3/2c/ | e3/2f/e3/2c/ A2B3/2c/ | \
    d2d2 d4 :|: a2a2 g2e3/2g/ | f2d2 e4 | =f2a3/2g/ f2e3/2d/ | c3/2d/e3/2d/ c2A2 | a2a2 g2e3/2g/ | \
    f2d2 e4 | =f2a3/2g/ f2e3/2d/ | c3/2d/e3/2c/ d4 :| \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Flipping through some tunes this Sunday morning, why not record this little gem?
    And apologies. The bells from the church in my village started up early this cold rainy day so I had to make do with Take 8.
    Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/QkshVcCb1VQ
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like your Take 8, Simon.
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof I like it too!
  30. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very "Schottis"! That's a new word I learned today