Week #13 ~ Kentucky Waltz ~ Bluegrass Tune

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Artfully done Eddie. And Chris, very nice as usual but you had a tough act to follow there. Eddie was on top of his game.
  2. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks Sore Ears.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    I had a lot great renditions to steal from. It was Chris' version that got me started on it. Thank's guys.
  4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I like the Butch waltz/slow tune right hand idea, Don. Works pretty good.
  5. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Y'all are tough acts to follow and I'm followin' way behind on this one!

6. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's a nice rendition, Joe! I like the little double stop thingys you put in there.
    I'll have to jump this one, for now at least. Just don't seem able to learn it. Or at least have been too tired to practice.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'm way behind in checking this thread out - WOW! What a bunch of great versions everyone!

Eddie, that mandola version was awesome!
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks Jill, I had lots of material from my fellow posters... and the hat seemed to channel the right ambience...
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Just a different take on a Tenor Guitar...

10. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my rendition of Kentucky Waltz on an Eastman 815.

Tom

11. Eddie Sheehy
    Here it is on a Beard Zouk - GGDDAAEE:

12. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I figured it was time I gave this one a shot.

13. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    That's really cool, I have to add that to my very long to do list. What kind of mando you playing? .........Kris
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Waaaaaay cool, Shaun.
  15. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    Been messing around with this one recently...

16. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice one Alex.
    But, be careful.
    Barbara has a 'no knees' policy.
    And you were getting dangerously close.
    Gary
  17. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    Ooops, there may have been some knee showing , but in all fairness, I'm recovering from toe surgery at the moment and getting a pair of full-length pants over the surgical boot on my foot is just not happening
  18. justkaron
    justkaron

One of my very favorite waltzes.
  19. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    This is my first attempt at using my new Logitech webcam and Windows 10's video editor app. I wanted to crop out much of my office clutter, as well as the sullen expression on the musician(?)'s face. Someone in the Forum said I would need a more advanced editor to do that. So, here it is, warts and all. Excuse the abruptly ended tremolo at the end. It's a learning process.

2014 Weber Gallatin
    Accompaniment: Strum Machine

20. Bren
    Bren
    Well done Sherry.
    I would just call that a "thoughtful" expression.
  21. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Well done, Sherry -- it's a tricky tune to play because Monroe's timing is very ideosyncratic and gives it that ineffable bluegrass flavour.

Looking through this thread, I am surprised to see that I never added the recording of Kentucky Waltz that I made in 2019. My recording on two mandolins with tenor guitar backing uses a harmony part by Allen Hilliard which I found here:

https://musescore.com/user/1089156/scores/5400232

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

For variety, I'm swapping the melody line between the mandolin and tenor guitar a couple of times. We have this tune in our group repertoire, and in fact played it at our session last week -- fun to play as long as everybody gets into the groove.

Martin
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Big strides being made, Sherry. Clean picking and I like the backing you have on this one too. Left hand looks a lot more relaxed .

As far as facial expression goes, the more familiar you are with the tune, the recording process and all the other elements that make up a video recording, the more you will be able to relax.

Martin, a nice arrangement and playing on your version - and no appearance by yourself, so no worries about facial expression on this one!
  23. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice performance with a beautiful mandolin tone, Sherry.
    Martin, the second mandolin adds a lot.
  24. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, all. Bren, I WAS deep in thought, so I guess you're right! Lol I sure do like your version, Martin. Makes me wish I'd added more tremolo. Maybe I'll do this one again - and try smiling without looking goofy. John, I did have a lot on my mind in that session. Anyway, we'll go with that!
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really well done Sherry, nice timing too. Don’t worry about your facial expression though, it shows that you’re 100% focused!

And great playing, Martin. I like the guitar accompaniment, but where were you?
  26. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    And thanks Sherry for resurrecting this thread!
  27. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice playing by all !! CC are you using a different mandolin than usual?
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice playing CC, it’s good to hear some more Bluegrass.
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good tremolo and guitar accompaniment as usual, Christian.
  30. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was fun Sherry, Martin, and Christian!
  31. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    While playing my little set in my backyard I was reminded of Sherrys' recent revival of this beautiful waltz.
  32. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I loved it, Frank!
  33. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
  34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Beautiful!
  35. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's great, Frank -- I love the laid-back way of keeping the waltz rhythm going in the gaps between the melody notes and still getting plenty of tremolo and fills in as well. That's really sophisticated playing. Great tone, too. Makes me think I need an archtop with f-holes after all, five years after I sold mine...

Martin
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What Michael said!
    I’m frantically working on my D- - -U- to dududu transitions!
  37. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing, Frank. I think you're ready for your close-up shot now.
  38. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The trees listen attentively, great playing, Frank!
  39. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank you all ! The trees are the only audience that can't run away, when they see me close-up.
  40. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine interpretation and playing, Frank. The playing and the video are just so relaxed and easy on the eye and ear.
  41. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I agree, very relaxed, but then I pick up the octave, try some tremolo and it’s far from relaxing!
  42. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    This is the second tune I played at yesterday's recital (the first being "Humphreys Waltz"). Thought I had nailed those 4th finger C#s, but it was couldn't quite reach them today.

Now to return to normal life and see what I've been missing from you guys.

43. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very good performance, Sherry. Your playing and the piano accompaniment were really together all the way through, and the C#s were not intruding at all.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great performance, Sherry, and tight rhythm with the piano.
  45. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice!
  46. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Verry nice Sherry! I can tell you've been work'n that mando. I know how stressful recitals can be, great job hanging in there, that's the way to represent!
  47. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Enjoyed this very much Sherry, Bravo performance.
  48. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks to all. It was nice to perform for senior citizens. They really appreciate the music, especially played by the younger violinists.
  49. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This was a nice performance, Sherry, the mandolin and the piano sound great together.
    I already played the Kentucky Waltz, but I found this nice transcription with diminished and augmented chords at Fidddlevideo:
    https://www.fiddlevideo.com/wp-conte...ucky_Waltz.pdf
  50. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Christian, you really are in a groove with this style of tune. Very nice, and I agree that the guitar part is particularly good - and as always you put them both together immaculately.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast