Bicinium 10

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Giovanni Giacomo Gastoldo (1554-1609): Il primo libro della musica a due voci (1598)
    Bininium No. 10

This is one of 36 duets published by G.G. Gastoldi in 1598, the first 20 of which he wrote himself. These duets (called "Bicenium") were intended as teaching material to practice playing in ensembles, but they make nice music pieces of their own. Instrumentation is left open so they can be played on any melody instrument.

They are at IMSLP in a nice edition by Richard Yates, available in many different combinations of clefs:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Il_primo_libr...vanni_Giacomo)

I have used the edition in treble and octave treble clef to play duet No. 10 on mandolin and tenor guitar (tuned GDAE), with the addition of a tenor guitar playing a high G crotchet rhythmic drone. I had originally recorded that crotchet rhythm track when I ran into problem when I wanted to overdub the second voice onto my mandolin video -- both parts are so rhythmically complex, and so different from each other, that I needed something to indicate the pulse throughout the piece. The intention was to delete this track once I had successfully recorded the second duet part. However, when I listened back I prefered to have the rhythm as a drone for a bigger sound and some musical tension.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

Martin
  2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very pretty, and kinda mysterious Martin. What is this classified as? Classical?
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frank. That would come under "Early Music", a catch-all category for everything pre-dating the Baroque.

In this case, it's specifically Italian renaissance music. Early music is much less regimented than classical or baroque. Musicians were expected to semi-improvise large elements of the performance, so printed score were more a barebones guidance. Instrumentation and accompaniment in particular were up to the performer. Not unlike modern folk or popular styles of music in that respect, where a lead sheet only gives you a general outline which you have to flesh out with your own arrangement.

I have also just remembered that I recorded No. 9 from the same collection last year. Same source and instrumentation (but no drone part):

Back in 2013, I also recorded four more of these duets, as a single video (Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 5). Mid-Mo mandolin and OM duets:

https://youtu.be/CHcvtSbyXCc

Martin
  4. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks for this new example and thanks for the education! Now I can add this style to my check it out list.