Carolan's Draught

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    We already have recordings of this tune in the old "O'Carolan Tunes" thread, but as Barbara has asked that we start a new thread for each tune rather than posting them all to that collective thread, I'm starting a new discussion for Carolan's Draught.

This is an arrangement for two flutes from a Japanese site I've been exploring today (Link). I've changed it into a mandolin duet, with tenor guitar backing.

Washburn M-3SW mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These flute arrangements you stumbled across are all sounding terrific. You really showcase those harmony parts with your playing.
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Very nice Martin. Thanks for sharing.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Classic sounding - this is the baroque feel O'C. always aspired to.
    Nice collection of Ben Bulben pics, too
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another super piece, Martin.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You got me determined to have a go at this one too, Martin! Mandolin and guitar, guitar panned 45% left and right. One guitar channel finger-picked, the other plectrum. Chords from the site Martin suggested - Hatao.

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109791&d=1385315969[/mp3]
  7. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Wonderful recordings by Martin and John. Inspired me to practice and practice and have a go at it. Recorded on my 32 A-0.
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Martin - as with John and Dusty I had to take up the gauntlet on this one. I have timing issues so I figured this would be a challenge and it was. I can nail the 'melody' in a single take but the second part is not intuitive and it took a lot of work to get it laid down on top of the first part. In fact, I eventually laid the second part down in 3 pieces to get what I have. Not optimal but it worked. A little out of time in a couple spots but I am pleased enough.

Martin - thanks for the lead on the music and you set a high bar with your playing. John - I loved your guitar work, fingerpicking etc, it sounds much better than my plunking. Dusty - clean and clear as always.

Here's mine on mando and guitar:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1387930150

OK, I can't seem to get the MP3 files to embed etc. Will need to work on that some more...
  9. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    OK, still can't figure out how to embed the MP3s with the player. Started messing around with Soundcloud. I'm not entirely impressed with it as it seems slow and since I don't want to pay for it the 2 hour limit seems too easy to hit. But, thought I would try to paste one in here:

OK, that seems to work although it seems to randomly hesitate at times. Maybe a slow internet connection on my end?
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That sounds pretty good to me. I'm always in awe of people who can play harmony parts especially those that don't mirror the melody. I thought I'd add my 2010 version to this thread so all the good versions were in one place.

11. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David - what a wonderful version you have !! Great sounding instruments and played exquisitely. This piece was certainly a challenge for my timing and that was one reason for my attempting it. I also find myself progressing merrily along and then discover that I am playing the melody and not the harmony!!
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Woodenfingers: that sounds great -- that harmony part fits just fine with your lead. As with most harmony parts (other than in parallel thirds), it's really designed to be played from the sheet or by heart and only makes sense once it blends with the melody.

Your MP3 embedded is here:

[MP3=2]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111536&d=1387930150[/MP3]

It's a quirk of the MP3 tag on the Cafe that you must supply a running count any previous embedded MP3s in the same thread. As John Kelly had already embedded his recording above, yours is the second and needs the tag "MP3=2".

Martin
  13. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Martin, I can be sight reading the harmony part and still wind up playing the melody instead... especially on Christmas carols where you really know the melody. It takes a lot of focus to sight read and stay in perfect time so this was a great exercise!! I'll need to check out your Hatao source to see what else he has.

Your MP3 comment went a bit over my head. Where do you find the MP3 player "TAG" (is it the asterisk?) and how do you use it? ie, more specifically, what do you type to supply both the link and the MP3=X number??

Thanks!!
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    The tag syntax is explained here: Link

So, to embed your MP3, what I typed was:

[MP3=2]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111536&d=1387930150[/MP3]

If it's a new thread with no previous MP3s posted to it, you would write "MP3=1" instead.

There are quite a few other harmony arrangements by "hatao", but they're a bit difficult to locate on his site as celtnofue.com is an all-Japanese site. As I couldn't find the links to the sheet music, I did a Google search for "site:celtnofue.com filetype:pdf", which got a few dozen of them, some with harmonies and some only melody and chords.

I've enjoyed just about all of hatao's arrangements and have posted several others (mostly by Carolan) to the SAW Group over the past few weeks:

Eleanor Plunkett (post #4 in the thread)
    Si Bheag Si Mhor (post #4 on page 3 of the thread)
    Planxty Irwin (post #20 on page 2 of the thread)
    Fanny Power (post #26 in the thread -- I had already posted an earlier arrangement with different harmonies, but hatao's is better)
    Hector The Hero (post #3 on page 3 of the thread)
    Adeste Fideles (O Come, All You Faithful)
    Greensleeves To A Ground (post #13 to the thread -- again I had already posted earlier non-hatao versions)

Links to the PDFs are in each of these posts -- all really enjoyable harmony arrangements to try out! The last two are suitably Christmassy, too.

Martin
  15. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Ahhhh, now I get it. Thanks for the info and for the link to the codes...

I have listened to all of your recent posts, although have not specifically commented regarding them, and I have enjoyed them all. The most recent one with the Christmas Chimes seems particularly challenging, especially at the section you pointed out!!! I think I'll leave that until next year .

Thanks again and all the best for 2014!!
  16. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Here's my take on this! Another great tune by Turlough Carolan. I don't know what it is, but I think of myself pouring a bit of whiskey in a glass when I play this one.
    The melody is one that a beginner can learn, and the tremolo is such that an intermediate player like myself can enjoy struggling with for some time to come. I hope you like this one!

TABS available at pluckinstrings.com

17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice playing! You also have figured out how to edit picture-in-picture multitracks, which I really should learn as well.

Carolan's Draught was the official tune in Week #265 -- I suggest you post your recording in that thread as well. My recording from last year is there (a traumatic take as I dropped my chair on my Gibson immediately after pressing "Stop"...).

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...682&do=discuss

Martin