Week #77 ~ Hewlett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Francis J
    Francis J
    A beautiful tune. and great versions all. It's a rotten rainy day, all day in Kilkenny, so I put the down time to good use playing this.

2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice Francis! I love your arrangement...
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Francis that was really lovely, your bouzouki backup really makes it sing.
  4. Tavy
    Tavy
    Only 5 years late

5. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Good pickin' everyone, and Tavy that was hauntingly beautiful, I love it!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just had another go at Hewlett, as I only had the solo recording from many years ago in this thread.

My new recording is based on the arrangement by Allan Alexander & Jessica Walsh in their book "Celtic Music for Mandolin". I am playing their tune variation as a counter melody.

Played as a trio of two mandolins and tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another Scots/Canadian collaboration, again with Ginny. We resurrected this tune on Ginny's suggestion and she plays mandolin here and I have added in tenor guitar (tuned as octave mandolin (GDAE). We are having a lot of fun with our Transatlantic Sessions so far - not sure if we can use this label as there already exists a very fine TV series here on BBC Alba (the Scots Gaelic programme) called Translantic Sessions featuring many of the top trad musicians from both sides of the Atlantic!

The video clips were taken a couple of days ago on the shores of Loch Eck near my home during the very summery spell of weather we have been enjoying over the past two or three weeks!

PS - Deleted original video and uploaded amended one here. I had errors in the end title and had left a "floating" clip at the end of the video which created a big black space. if you posted comments on YouTube please accept apologies and repost if you wish!

8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I always like your Scots/Canadian collaborations, Ginny and John. This one is simply beautiful.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I agree. Probably my favourite transatlantic tune so far!
  10. Brian560
    Brian560
    Ginny&John: that sounds really nice !
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Youtube proposed me Michael's fantastic version of this O'Carolan tune and, listening to it, I decided to also give it a try.
    But, since I have no Gibson F2, I decided to play it on my bowlback. I played the version from folk tune finder, which has some interesting chord changes: http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/110146

There are lots of fine renditions of this beautiful tune in this thread, for example the nice transatlantic cooperation
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, Christian. Hard to believe that it is just over a year since Ginny and I posted the transatlantic version you mention above! Good tunes have a timeless quality.
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is a really nice rendition CC. John and I had done it at a 'stately' pace but we also have it much faster. You've chosen a lovely tempo here with your clarity being very compelling. John and I still have tunes in our files we haven't even posted yet after ...a year and a half John? ( I've lost track of time)
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another go at "Hewlett", this time as a tenor guitar duet, incorporating a variation by Allan Alexander from his book "Celtic Music For Mandolin".

Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

Martin
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely sound from the tenor duet, Martin. Well played.
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice to hear your tenor guitar without a mandolin or mandocello. Warm sound. Well played in duet with itself.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice to see you playing the tenor guitar, Martin. Sounds fine in your hands. The variation is a nice bonus.
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Frithjof and Christian. I had actually intended to add a mandolin part in the same way as my 2015 recording in this thread -- using the variation as a countermelody. However, I decided to omit the mandolin part I had already recorded as I preferred the feel of the unadorned tenor guitar duet.

Martin
  19. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My tuppence worth... recorded using my Falder mandolin.

20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I've just been reading about the terrible weather up there in the UK. Hope you gents are ok!
    I took this video at about the same time, but down here in the south of France.

https://youtu.be/jtwhwggpxAA
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very up-tempo version of this great tune, Simon. It sounds quite different from the slower versions we have posted earlier in the thread, and I like this version of yours a lot.
    In Scotland we have been luckier with the two storms so far and have missed a lot of the devastation that they caused down in England and Wales, but it's early days yet as far as winter storms go! Already five named ones this year and it is still just February.
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The sun had gone and I was starting to get cold, so thought I’d hurry the Hewlett.
    (The storms will continue John, as long as the factor that’s causing them continues to manifest itself. Wake turbulence. )
  23. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very enjoyable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12